inaccessible Junction Boxes

I am likewise surprised and curious. ... The say the mark has to be visible during installation, but surely the outside of the lid would be "visible"? ....WOE not mark the outside of the box? Where are the Ashley J80x marked?
Quite so. The Ashley/Hager ones now have the MF mark on the outside.
I'm assuming the cable tie is because BS 5733 requires a tool to be needed to open it, so once installed anybody wanting to confirm BS 7671 compliance by verifying the presence of an MF mark would have to carry out a destructive operation. WOE not design the Wagobox to be secured with a screw? A hole in the lid and a block for an installer-provided self-tapper would do.
Quite so. Even cheap and nasty 'chockboxes' have provision for securing with a screw. However, I'm not sure that it's necessarily BS 5733 in this case - does BS7671 not require that an enclosure containing live conductors cannot be opened without use of a tool?
Maybe it is BS 5733 which should be changed ;)
Maybe. If/when we discover what BS 5733 actually says/requires, we might be in a position to form an opinion about that.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The shape/size of 773s and 222s is such that they are retained by the internal 'holder'. I don't think it would retain 221s, although I'm not sure why that should be a problem (after all, most of us usually use all Wagos 'loose').
Maybe BS 5733 requires them not to be loose?

And from the horses mouth:

"The XLA and Wagobox can be used with the 221 and 2273 when used with their respective adapters."

Also, I'm not sure that I would see any advantage of 221s (over 222s) in a Wagobox, since there's no lack of space.
How about not having any 222s because 221s are better?

Ditto 773 vs 2273.

Going back to some of the early discussion in my thread about 221s, maybe this is a reason why 222s may persist, since I imagine that it would not be easy to modify the Wagobox so that the 'holder' could cope with both 221s and 222s/773s.
Well, how about (unless desperately space constrained) just using the Wagobox XL?

The Q re that has been answered:

Both the XL and XLA products can be used to assemble an MF accessory when used in combination with the appropriate Wago 2273, 221, 773 and 222 connectors.

The XLA and Wagobox can be used with the 221 and 2273 when used with their respective adapters.

The MF instructions limit the number of circuits to 1 and the maximum aggregate current permissible for any particular circuit configuration. Here is a picture of the lid from a Wagobox-XLA showing the MF mark.

Hope this is helpful.

upload_2017-11-23_13-28-28.png

I haven't the heart to ask to see the outside of the lid of the XL rather than the XLA.

does BS7671 not require that an enclosure containing live conductors cannot be opened without use of a tool?
I have a feeling it does.

Which makes the use of a cable tie seem even more a bit of a shortcoming.

Sponsored Links
221s are fairly new so they may not have updated their information and moulding -
Problem solved - if they have updated anythging, it's just the clarity of the marking ...

I've just looked at the ones I've got, bought around 5 years ago. When just looked at casually, this is all one sees (i.e. nothing other that the "Regd Design" number) ....
upload_2017-11-23_13-58-55.png

However, if one lights it from exactly the right angle (pretty critical), one sees exactly the same as you posted (I've had to play with contrast of photo to show it here) ...
upload_2017-11-23_13-56-2.png

... so it seems that the MF marking has probably 'always' been there, except that it was not visible enough for us to notice it!

Kind Regards, John

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-23_13-52-4.png
    upload_2017-11-23_13-52-4.png
    215 KB · Views: 68

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back