Alternative to Junction Box when inaccessable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's considered a suitable alternative method for splitting a spur when the join will be inaccessable, as a junction box wouldn't be considered acceptable?

Sponsored Links
I have seen a maintenance free junction box that can be buried/plastered over/inaccessible. I can't remember who made them but somebody will know...

ratchet crimping and a heatshrinkcovering over the joint or running 2 new cables from the adjacent accessories and bringing them into the spur.

Sponsored Links
Gentlemen, thank you most kind.

I am a bit curious about what makes that acceptable and a "normal" junction box unacceptable tho..?

IMO those junction boxes are no more compliant than a standard junction box and can not be used if they will become inaccessible.

IMO those junction boxes are no more compliant than a standard junction box and can not be used if they will become inaccessible.

I posted the link for Zambezi's purpose, but I have to agree - I would not like to lose those forever either.

I have never used one, I read about them in another forum.
I think the theory behind them is they don't have screws that come work loose, they are similar to the Wago push connectors.

IMO wago connectors are not acceptable either.

Regulation 526.3

Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintanence, except for the following:

(i) A joint designed to be buried in the ground
(ii) A compound-filled or encapsulated joint
(iii) A connection between a cold tail and the heating element as in ceiling heating, floor heating or a trace heating system
(iv) A joint made by welding, soldering, brazing or appropriate compression tool
(v) A joint forming part of the equipment complying with the appropriate product standard.

Lets not have this argument again though :LOL:

Screw less terminals meaning no maintenance required is all the web site says.

with the risk of not having this arguement reinstated that quote says nothing as RF points out. The only bending of the rules could come from "appropriate compression tool" and the connector is not a tool, even if it does compress the conductors

Benefits

* Easy to cable
* Complies with wiring regulations
* Fits nicely in the hand
* Generous wiring space
* Allows for mixed cable types
* Twin & CPC & flexible cords can be mixed
* Screw less terminals meaning no maintenance required

Second bullet point.

BTW I am not argueing I am just pointing out what it says (although it does not say which regs it complies with but does claim to be the only junction box that can be used for inaccessible connections)

The Maintenance Free junction box from Ashley is a junction box that has been manufactured to accommodate the increasing need to fit junction boxes in so called 'inaccessible' areas.

The Maintenance Free junction box provides a secure and maintenance free means of connecting fixed wiring in any indoor application. Whether it be, under floor situations between ground and first floor in houses, or where jointing of cables is used to aid rewiring.[/b]

So what's the answer then gentlemen? Sometimes you just have to split a circuit somewhere you're never going to see it again, and we used to use junction boxes all the time.

Of course ideally the circuit would be designed in such a way that all joins are always accessible, but that's easier in a new build than in a renovation rewire.

The answer is in RF's post which quotes the relevant current regulation.

The maintenance free junction boxes, such as the Wago and the Ashley, may be maintenance free, but this does not exempt them from being accessible for inspection as required in the regs.

Probably the most appropriate connection for your purposes would be exemption (iv), if you have the correct tool for it.

It is always best to avoid joins like this if possible, by making the joint at an accessory or making a new circuit entirely.

Ah, missed that when I was skimming the ongoing debate... In this context, what's considered an "appropriate" compression tool?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back