What does a gas fire service involve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This question was raised by a colleague of mine. His elderly mother has been feeling unwell (headache, nausea, tired) and she wonders if this is because of carbon monoxide from her gas fire.

The gas fire is serviced annually and would be due next month. When the fire is serviced, should the engineer specifically check for the presence of carbon monoxide, or will he just check the there is sufficient draw on the chimney and that the burner is clean etc.,

She is getting the fire checked Friday anyway and her son will purchase a carbon monoxide alarm, but just wants to know for peace of mind that a check for CO will be included (or not).

Sponsored Links
If this fire is suspect TURN IT OFF untill it is serviced unsafe fires kill
That said the service does not check directly for carbon monoxide but it will be checked for flue spillage and correct combustion. I recomend a carbon monoxide alarm on all open flued fires

If it's being checked friday, then ask them to do a co check. Also get them to check any other gas things i the house (water boiler etc) while they're there.

Thanks for the replies guys, the fire's off, servicing of the boiler is in hand and purchase of CO alarm will be tonight. Perhaps I wasn't clear with the question.

When the fire is serviced, should the engineer specifically check for the presence of carbon monoxide?

The old lady won't have the confidence to ask when he's there.

Sponsored Links
When the fire is serviced, should the engineer specifically check for the presence of carbon monoxide?

no would be the answer,the person who inspects/services the fire should carry out certain tasks to be certain it is not spilling poc into the room or the flue is sound/safe to use.to carry out a co2 check correctly is an expensive and drawn out thing,others may disagree.

he should be checking the vents not been blocked up too. some customers dont understand why they shouldnt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back