What does Earth Bonding involve?

Simply put -
A = B + C + D + A
is not possible.
Exactly - and being of a mathematical persuasion, I very nearly posted exactly that [I was actually going to type "X = A + B + C + X", but for some reason decided not to include it]. Great minds :)

Of course, if your B, C & D (or my A, B & C) were all zero/'nothing', then the equation would actually work :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
ADS is the same...it's just missing an eeb or two, which can be omitted if certain conditions are met.

ADS is the same...it's just missing an eeb or two, which can be omitted if certain conditions are met.
I don't really understand. As I've asked several times (most recently of Risteard) under what circumstances is main bonding required for true 'ADS' (Automatic disconnection of supply) to work satisfactorily?

Kind Regards, John

I think I'll give up on this discussion! It's travelling in smaller and smaller circles until it hits the centre of the sun!

Sponsored Links
It is perhaps being overlooked in this discussion that "ADS" does not appear anywhere in the current version of BS7671 (and maybe never has in previous editions). It does have a good few mentions of "Automatic disconnection of supply", but I would like to think that "Automatic disconnection of supply" means Automatic disconnection of supply.
I don't really understand what you are saying here.

Isn't ADS short for "Automatic Disconnection of Supply"?

I don't really understand what you are saying here. Isn't ADS short for "Automatic Disconnection of Supply"?
Precisely - and, in terms of any sort of common sense, it surely means that and nothing more (i.e. it doesn't include basic protection provided by enclosures, bonding, or any of the other things being talked about)??

However, my point in the post to which you were responding is that the discussion seems to have been about the meaning of the abbreviation/acronym "ADS" (and the older one "EEBADS") - and I was merely saying that, although BS7671 has many mentions of "Automatic Disconnection of Supply", it does not anywhere use (or define) the abbreviation "ADS" (perhaps, as you imply, because the meaning should be pretty obvious to any sensible person!) - and certainly makes no mention of "EEBADS".

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back