What does this do in my radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have a look at the attached photos please and tell me what it is and why I need to put it in my radiator. The rad is only small, 300w x 500h and this part was loose inside the rad behind the valve. It is solid, the hole shown in one of the pictures doesn't go right through and it fitted loosely in the bottom of the radiator.

Attachments

• Radiator fitting (1).jpg
    Radiator fitting (1).jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 184
  • Radiator fitting (2).jpg
    Radiator fitting (2).jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Radiator fitting (3).jpg
    Radiator fitting (3).jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 172
Sponsored Links
Looks like a bung you sometimes get on a new radiator... supposed to take them out - perhaps someone pushed it in, instead... can’t say i’ve seen them inside a rad before.

It probably is a transit blank but it shouldn't get into the rad and you wouldn't normally be able to get it back out .... Gie's a chance though ... try and get some focused pics ;)

It isn't a transit blank, it was packed separately with fitting instructions, which I must have thrown away. At the time I fitted it, a long time ago, I asked a plumber about it. He didn't know what it was either.
When I posted the question I didn't give my own opinion because I didn't want to cloud the issue, but what I believe it to be is a way of ensuring that the water flows up the rad and doesn't take a short cut across the bottom. Sometimes referred to as a 'blocking piece' or something like that. Why that should be necessary I don't know, except that it might help with a tall rad, which this is not and if its needed why don't all rads have them.
I'm flushing my system out at the moment due to problems with rads not heating up properly and knowing this was in there I decided to take it out. I'm waiting for a replacement rad for my bathroom at the moment so I'm not in a position to test it yet.

Sponsored Links
This was a change about ten years ago when I redecorated. A single purchase off the internet and I've lost all record of where it came from. It has vertical panels see photo. Another clue!

Attachments

• WC rad.jpg
    WC rad.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 120
The cryptic 300x500 clue indicated it was not a standard radiator.
Sometimes referred to as a 'blocking piece' or something like that
You have already answered the question,they are known as baffles,divertors,bungs and often 'what the feck is this' :idea:

The rad will not work very well with it missing :LOL:

Thanks for that Old&Cold. Seems it only applies to vertical panel rads and now I know what to call it I can find more info on the web. I was definitely in the "what the ……………" category.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back