What does this do in the cistern?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
In the process of trying to fixing a constant dribble from the cistern, I took out the the filler valve and broke the bit circled in the image.
It looks like this model is no longer available, but what does that part actually do? I cant see any purpose for it. It seems like some sort of float valve but I cant see what it would shut of.
I've orderd a new rubber seal to hopefully fix the leak, but do I need to bother about trying to fix this bit back on?
I notice that there are some models similar to this do dont have the float and some that do.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks
toilet.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's part of the dual flush mechanism - it'll control either short or full flush volume

Thanks for the quick reply muggles.
So if I cant get it to stick back on with super glue, from playing with it it looks like it will still flush, but maybe I will need to keep my finger on the button to start/stop the flush?
Would that be right? Is that worst case?
If I dont need to keep my finger on it then I guess I just get 1 type of flush (short or long) rather than 2?

Sponsored Links
Yes will have to see when the new seal arrives and I've put it all back together. Otherwise - I will just have to get a new toilet!

I think they are all interchangeable so you can just get a whole new flush

dont use superglue, dry it out - roughen the edges and use araldite or similar.

Hi
In the process of trying to fixing a constant dribble from the cistern, I took out the the filler valve and broke the bit circled in the image.
It looks like this model is no longer available, but what does that part actually do? I cant see any purpose for it. It seems like some sort of float valve but I cant see what it would shut of.
I've orderd a new rubber seal to hopefully fix the leak, but do I need to bother about trying to fix this bit back on?
I notice that there are some models similar to this do dont have the float and some that do.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks
View attachment 186536
Throw it in the bin.

Thanks all for the replies. The replacement rubber seal arrived and now fitted it works fine without the float attached - allbeit with the need to keep your finger on the flush button a little longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back