WHAT DOES THIS MEAN

B

BOB.DOLE

I have a gray star coming up on the toolbar at the bottom of my computer and also when it starts up it says you may be a victim of software counterfeting of my windows xp . will my computer shut down shortly

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Bob
get some pics

pu.s.sy cat....lol wink wink ,,,, .lol ...... :)

lol I had to purchase the windows genuine advantage software too. serves me right for getting a complimentary copy from a friend really. :( still cheaper than the real McCoy though!

The "nagware" that Bob described is installed in a windows update. You can remove the program that checks for a legit version of windows quite easily by following these instructions.

Lauch Windows Task Manager.
End wgatray.exe process in Task Manager.
Restart Windows XP in Safe Mode.
Delete WgaTray.exe from c:\Windows\System32.
Use the search facility and search your pc for "wgatray" and delete anything you find.
Lauch RegEdit.
Browse to the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify
Delete the folder ‘WgaLogon’ and all its contents
Reboot Windows XP.

Should be gone now. Remember not to download and install the Windows updates for Windows Genuine Advantage, when it prompts you to do so in the future.

gcol said:
The "nagware" that Bob described is installed in a windows update. You can remove the program that checks for a legit version of windows quite easily by following these instructions.

Lauch Windows Task Manager.
End wgatray.exe process in Task Manager.
Restart Windows XP in Safe Mode.
Delete WgaTray.exe from c:\Windows\System32.
Use the search facility and search your pc for "wgatray" and delete anything you find.
Lauch RegEdit.
Browse to the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify
Delete the folder ‘WgaLogon’ and all its contents
Reboot Windows XP.

Should be gone now. Remember not to download and install the Windows updates for Windows Genuine Advantage, when it prompts you to do so in the future.[/quote

how do i get into ? Delete WgaTray.exe from c:\Windows\System32.

I had this problem yesterday at office, I now cant get into Hotmail & thisismoney.co.uk. These m/soft people are clever. Wouldnt mind but my work pc is genuine. Also Norton now has an error message.

GCOL, I have followed your instructions, but rather than delete I have just changed the file names. Whilst the PC on boot up said it may be counterfeit, I dont have the little symbol now.
But I still cant get in to my hotmail account Or log into thisismoney. If I go to another PC I can. Any ideas?

BOB.DOLE said:
how do i get into ? Delete WgaTray.exe from c:\Windows\System32.
Shut down the process I mentioned in Windows Task Manager before you restart. When you boot up in safe mode (you know how to do this I take it?), just click "start", "search", select "all files and folders" then type in "wgatray" in the top box, then hit "search". Select all the files it finds and delete them, then delete them from the recycle bin also.
Then restart, and set a restore point in case you install that windows update again.

Diyisfun said:
GCOL, I have followed your instructions, but rather than delete I have just changed the file names. Whilst the PC on boot up said it may be counterfeit, I dont have the little symbol now.
But I still cant get in to my hotmail account Or log into thisismoney. If I go to another PC I can. Any ideas?
Have you tried restoring the pc to a time before the trouble started?

GCOL, I have tried restore to 2 different dates, it goes through the motions but will not do a restore. Our IT fella is due in today (although I wont hold my breath), he said he knoes how to resolve this.

Sponsored Links
Back