What drill bit do I need for tiles?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to make 2 holes in the bathroom where we have tiles

What type of drill bit do I need?

Assuming I need something different from the normal?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What type of tiles? What are the holes required for?Whats size? Why didn’t you provide this essential info in your question?

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
The Bosch multi construction bits are good for ceramic tiles but you need to check what’s behind it for a suitable fixing

Blup

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
It's a bathroom wall. Tiles are shiny white.
I'm replacing a broken toilet roll holder.
Behind is a solid brick wall.

See pic below
erYHCPc.jpg

That's the old holder piece still left in the wall. I should be good to reuse on of the holes, so only need to drill one hole.

Any thoughts?

I saw one youtube video. He says to use a masonry drill on normal. After getting through til, only then to use hammer drill.
+ Start with a small size drill then do a bigger size.
I'm about to try this...

Sponsored Links
DeWalt extreme masonry bit.
No hammer and go easy and slow speed.

Bit safer will be to use a tile drill.

Id put a 6mm hole in the tile then 5.5mm hole in wall.
Sometimes the plug is tight in tile hole and with a fat screw the plug expands cracking tile. With a 6mm tile hole then push plug through below tile will prevent this.

Your only need ceramic bits in porcelain tiles although I know a filter that uses a masonry bit no problem. Must be a good one..

Is that the one with the spear shaped tip insert?

You can use a pump up plant mister to run it wet.

Probably take 30 seconds to go through tile with that spear head bit. When you break surface the biscuit is soft. No need for water

It's a bathroom wall. Tiles are shiny white.
I'm replacing a broken toilet roll holder.
Behind is a solid brick wall.

See pic below
erYHCPc.jpg

That's the old holder piece still left in the wall. I should be good to reuse on of the holes, so only need to drill one hole.

Any thoughts?

I saw one youtube video. He says to use a masonry drill on normal. After getting through til, only then to use hammer drill.
+ Start with a small size drill then do a bigger size.
I'm about to try this...
Put a couple of strips of masking tape in place then pencil mark for the hole, use a 3mm bit to pilot then the required size for the hole. You can enlarge the hole in the tile by 1mm or less to reduce likelihood of it breaking as the head of the plug us always larger, or just snip the head off if the substrate is solid and will stop the plug from spinning. Low speed no hammer action.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back