What drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I'm using the straight into brick screws for installing a upvc window do I use the same size drill? I. E. 7mm drill for 7mm screws? Or do they grip the brickwork my being 1mm or so smaller.
Thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
Are you using Frame fixers? If so use the size recommended for the plastic plug. It grips when you screw it in.

nylon-frame-fixings-square-drive.jpg

Thanks for the reply, I was going to use concrete or brick screws, no rawlplug needed just straight into brick but not sure if the dia of screw should be same as drill. With those framers do they just push straight through the pvc into the wall? Always wondered about these, as you can probably tell I haven't done this before lol.

I would use frame fixers. They aren't expensive and yes you just drill, tap them in with a hammer until the plug is flush with the frame and then screw in ideally with an impact driver, if you have one. If you haven't fitted a window before make sure you have plastic or ply packing blocks to get everything level and expanding foam to seal everything.

Sponsored Links
I would experiment a little with the same materials, my first go would be a hole a little bigger than the root /minor diameter

would also be very careful screwing longways into a brick that it would split the brick

Are you using Frame fixers? If so use the size recommended for the plastic plug. It grips when you screw it in.

nylon-frame-fixings-square-drive.jpg
Those are hammer fix and the wrong fixings for plastic windows. They will pull the frame in and distort it. The correct type are sleeved anchors that pull a wedge forward and tighten without pulling the screw inwards

If using 7mm Diamter concrete screws ( we use a m7.5 concrete screw in varying lengths as do a lot of the UPVC trade) , then a 6mm masonary bit should be sufficient , just beware if its red brick , red brick dust clogs up the screws and jams your drill as screwing in , just make sure hole is plenty deep enough for excess brick dust, or fully cleaned out. Not a fan of hammer ins at all due to potential for missing and hitting the frame ( accidents happen! ). Never had a concrete screw fail yet , providing the material you are screwing into is solid, and not breaking up. As motorbiking and Woody say though , make sure the frame is packed level so it can't distort or move as you screw them in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back