What finish for a hardwood door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've just had a couple of hardwood french doors fitted but debating over what finish to have. The rest of the downstairs internal doors are white but these doors go behind the main porch door, and I didn't want to cover up the hardwood pattern with white gloss. Do I go with Varnish, woodstain or something else? :(

Sponsored Links
I would varnish them with eggshell finish ...im not keen on wood stains (sadolin, sikkens etc) unless they are similar to the colour of the wood...if your not careful you could leave streaky brush marks in the finish

Hi, Woodstain is my prefered choice but as Zampa says avoid brush marks at all cost. The way I do it is to go for a solvent based stain. Apply with a brush and wipe off excess with a soft lint free cloth. Ensure you prep the wood first thoroughly. I would say a med oak or even a walnut stain will look nice with your hardwood doors. I then like to finish them with Brushing French Polish. Follow the instructions. I put 3 to 4 coats on and rub down in between with 600 grade wet and dry. I finish by polishing the whole item with beeswax (usually the same colour as the stain or there abouts.) I apply the polish with 0000 grade steel wool and buff off with a soft dry cloth. Always leaves a superior finish and I think things (esp stair parts) finished this way look the business. :D

Thanks guys I'll give that a try. Are there any other tips to avoid brush marks? I've seen this done before on a wooden beam and the results were aweful - the brush marks dried straight away into the finish! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Brush marks?...always use a good quality brush and none that are on sale in DIY stores...

Strat at the top and work down...laying off upwards as you go, in to the wet stuff from the dry...this will help you avoid 'heal and toe' marks.

Streaks..easier if you give the dor three thin-ish coats as opposed to two thick ones

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back