What finishing solution for top of wardrobe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Mid-way through floor-to-ceiling walk in wardrobe build (two rows of stacked units, built on a ladder frame, and battened to the walls).

Wondering what to have at the top of the wardrobe, bearing in mind I'll eventually be attaching LED coving to the front (so I can have integrated wrap-around coving across the whole room).

Currently (as you can see) I was thinking of a few sturdy boxes running along the top, attached to both the units below, the back wall, and perhaps the ceiling, creating a sturdy front panel I can attach the coving onto.

Is this over-engineered, and is there a better solution, perhaps?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20200718_130638731.jpg
    IMG_20200718_130638731.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 373
Sponsored Links
Does it need to be boxed in like that at the unfinished part? You could build a door/doors at the front, hinged from the top, "seal" the back and sides with scribing pieces where they meet the wall, giving you storage for larger items.

Blup

Does it need to be boxed in like that at the unfinished part? You could build a door/doors at the front, hinged from the top, "seal" the back and sides with scribing pieces where they meet the wall, giving you storage for larger items.

Blup

It does, because I need the space to install the coving. The coving is 10cm in height, and needs about a 14cm gap from ceiling to project the light.

Additional storage as you described was one option, but I like the idea of wraparound coving lighting

Last edited:
Have the doors below the coving etc. you dont need them to be full size - your wasting a lot of space there.
One day you will regret that, probably when trying to find a hole for the Xmas decs.

Sponsored Links
Design/appearance over function on this one!

Last edited:
The panel could be bottom hinged - dropping down complete with coving - but if you're content to lose the space, a simple board and batten should secure the coving.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back