What flooring to get in bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I spoke to a handyman last week about sanding/filling/varnishing my bathroom floor (its only about 3 x 2 metres).

DSC02106.JPG DSC02107.JPG

He said that it may be faster - and look nicer - with vinyl/laminate flooring. He can cut it to fit around the toilet/sink etc...

A few questions:
- what would you do? sand/varnish the original floorboards, or lay down new flooring?
- should I ask him to put some sort of beading around the floor to hide the cuts that he'll be making from the vinyl? Or would you use decorators caulk or something?
- what flooring would you suggest? (I know I want wood-effect rather than tile-effect.) Would you choose vinyl, laminate or some other type? Are there specific types for bathrooms? Because the floor space is minimal, I dont mind spending a bit more per square foot to ensure its watertight. (sometimes getting out of the bath/shower there are inevitable puddles)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sanding and staining is an option, keep them exposed they are nice boards, but a quality vinyl roll will be best for dealing with the water that accrues. If you can do so without damaging the plaster, remove and refit the skirting boards for a neat finish, otherwise beading. The boards look flat enough to lay straight on top of, but even small variations in height can show through for example the cut line of any boards.

Blup

If you like the wood effect, you could sand down what you have and stain varnish it a shade darker to hide imperfections , however water will go through the gaps.
Other solution is to go for bathroom laminate.
After a few years it will inevitably go wrong, especially if you have kids, but replacing such a small area is cheap and only takes a day.
Whatever you do, lift the toilet and vanity unit and do a through floor.
When you screw down the toilet use stainless steel screws.

Depends how much it is used, and by who.

If you have boys then vinyl. If just a lady or a man with a good aim, then varnished floorboards would look nice.

I have vinyl - with 2 boys it really isn't worth risking anything that can absorb liquid!

Sponsored Links
I've got some click lvt in mine, easy to fit and works well with 3 boys in the house.

Hi guys,

I think laminate is the way to go. (I seem to have a household of 'poor shots')

The handyman said to get as thin as possible so its easier to silicone around the edges of toilets etc (I know @johnny2007 said lift up the toilet/vanity unit, but I dont know how easy that is to for handyman to do?).

I need some 'bathroom grade'/waterproof. Will these do?
https://www.ukflooringdirect.co.uk/laminate-flooring-aqualock-8mm-beach-oak
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Heirloom-L...Resistant-Laminate-Flooring---2-22m2/p/237065

Or is there somewhere better to get flooring? (Jewsons?)

In addition to the laminate, will I need to get an underlay? (If so what?)

Many thanks

The handyman said to get as thin as possible so its easier to silicone around the edges of toilets etc (I know @johnny2007 said lift up the toilet/vanity unit, but I dont know how easy that is to for handyman to do?).

Doing it cut around is only a poor botch job. You need laminate with some level of water resistance and toilet, plus skirting etc. need to be lifted first, then sat on top. Any handyman of worth, ought to be able to do that. Vinyl might be more suitable, but is less forgiving of lumps on the floor.

If the "handyman" can't remove and refit a toilet, is not very handy.
It's one of the easiest jobs in a bathroom.
Besides, every single toilet I removed in the past 30 years had screws rusted to a pulp and needed a gentle tap just enough to put a saw blade underneath and cut the screws.
This would be impossible if you cut the laminate around the pot.
So, if he really can't remove the pan, at least tell him to change the screws to stainless steel.
I found that removing an old pan is a good opportunity to clean the waste outlet, replace the pan connector and water inlet as well as mounting screws (did I mention stainless steel?).
Then it is good to go for another 20 years at least.

I dont mind spending a bit more

Then get a professional floor fitter to fit your flooring of choice.

I consider myself a fairly handy man but wouldn't dream of cutting laminate around a toilet or sink - what's he going to do with the required 10mm expansion gap?

Yes, I agree, laying under the vanity unit and toilet would be ideal.

Part of the problem is (as you can tell) I dont know whats possible and whats not. Or what questions to ask. etc...

Another part of the problem is that its near impossible (where I am) to get an available tradesman. What Ive had to do it package up lots of small jobs to try and make it worth someones time to come out. Anyway, thats a different topic.

I cant see an obvious way to lift up the toilet/vanity unit?:

DSC02108.JPG DSC02109.JPG

It sounds like its pretty essential to fit the flooring underneath the toilet/vanity unit (expansion gap). I will tell him thats whats required.

Single sheet flooring is the most watertight.

Options such as Altro can even be used as wet room floors. Any joins are "soldered". You would probably need to plywood the floor though and I would recommend that you use a pro to fit it.

Vinyl strip flooring would also require ply as a base, but, yes you could cut around things like the loo.

For what it is worth, any laminate flooring will allow pee to fall in to the gaps and be soaked up by the MDF (or ply if they are ply based).

Just wondering, why is there so much paint on the floor?

Yes, I agree, laying under the vanity unit and toilet would be ideal.

Part of the problem is (as you can tell) I dont know whats possible and whats not. Or what questions to ask. etc...

Another part of the problem is that its near impossible (where I am) to get an available tradesman. What Ive had to do it package up lots of small jobs to try and make it worth someones time to come out. Anyway, thats a different topic.

I cant see an obvious way to lift up the toilet/vanity unit?:

View attachment 259572 View attachment 259573

It sounds like its pretty essential to fit the flooring underneath the toilet/vanity unit (expansion gap). I will tell him thats whats required.
Remove the plastic caps at the side of the toilet and you'll find 2 screws.
Remove them and your pan should be free.
Inspect the cistern, some are integrated and screwed to the wall.
Anyhow, that fixing system makes things even easier.

Ive just spoken to a flooring company. They say they will only fit the flooring if the toilet and vanity unit are already up. :( . They also said that they could cut around the toilet if I were to have vinyl (as has been said in this thread). They would lay plyboard no matter whether they were fitting vinyl or laminate (also as mentioned in this thread).

Ive just been having a look at some videos about LVT. I see what you guys mean about vinyl now. I had images of that naff stuff that you used to buy in rolls. The LVT looks much better.

Click LVT is no bother for an amateur to install. No timber component to absorb liquids. I don't know if it completely stops ingress of liquid [I was going to say "water from passing" but that might be confusing...] but the really tight joins between planks are bound to be better than laminate. Still needs good sub-floor prep though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back