Advice on loft flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I had a loft extension built recently and the flooring is chipboard (contains green flecks). I can't afford to put down good flooring at the moment so am exploring low cost temporary options. I would appreciate feedback - what is the most cost-effective option? i.e. looks reasonable and doesn't cost too much; e.g.
1) Sand, prime, osmo oil
2) Sand, prime, paint
3) Lay plywood over chipboard and then osmo oil or paint
4) Vinyl
5) Laminate
Would this black varnish work on chipboard? https://www.diy.com/departments/goodhome-black-satin-floor-wood-varnish-2-5l/5059340487021_BQ.prd

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
I would say painting it may well be the cheapest as Option 1 Osmo oil is not cheap, Option 3 plywood is not cheap and unnecessary and Option 5 laminate is labour intensive but may be worth costing up a roll end of sizeable offcut / rollend of either carpet or vinyl from your local carpet store as it may well be less than you think.

Sponsored Links
Stay away from carpet. Breeding ground for dust bugs etc etc...

I was about to say there is always one clown but then I remembered there are lots of clowns on this forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back