What foundation for half timbered shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to build a bit of an awkward shed and have had a lot of conflicting answers and trouble figuring out what foundations I need exactly

The shed in question will be a traditional style 4x3m half timbered frame made from structural Oak then the panels infilled with single skin brick

Initially I've been told to go with a concrete slab foundation, made slightly thicker with rebar

My concern is with the weight of the oak and bricks alone its going to be a fair bit for the slab to support, however I've been assured they work fine for garages holding cars etc, so should be fine for my build. I'm planning on a tiled / slate roof, wood burning stove fitted in a propper brick chimney breast as opposed to just having a metal flue coming out the top. With all the extra weight I'm really skeptical about the slab

I was thinking more along the lines of a trench fill or strip foundation however would this be overkill for this size of shed? And if not what would be the better way to go trench fill or strip?

Any help much appreciated

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back