What glue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me the best glue to use to glue aluminium to MDF? I've tried PVA but that was no good. Don't really want a contact adhesive as there will be some positioning to do.

Sponsored Links
No more nails (not the water based one).

...as above or a quick set epoxy such as Araldite.
Trouble is, there isn't a great deal of strength in MDF anyway as its just compressed particles - so its best to use CSK screws if you can.
John :)

EvoStik Serious Stuff Ultra - EvoStik say it will support up to 150 tonnes and sticks to pretty much anything. Will be vastly stronger than the MDF. B&Q sell it

Sponsored Links
Can he get 150 tonne bearing MDF at the same time? :rolleyes:

You might want to seal the mdf first.

What exactly are you trying to do- I have used mirror silicone on mdf in the past.

The downside to silicone, no nails etc is that the thickness will be greater than contact adhesive. If that is an issue then look for an epoxy resin as suggested by burnerman

something like this might help if you are doing large areas.

http://www.treadmaster.co.uk/adhesive.html#epoxy

Do not be tempted to use polyurathane glues unless you can apply a lot of uniform pressure until cured. Otherwise it will push the ali away from the mdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back