what happens if...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
... I dont use primer??

The threshold to my built-in wardobe has paint missing where it looks like the previous home-owner has sanded the threshold to accomodate a dropping door, as opposed to just re-hanging the door.
I've now re-hung the door and I'm wondering how to fix the bare patch of missing paint.
After doing a bit of research it appears I should prime the bare wood before applying the satinwood.

But what exactly would happen if I didn't use the primer first? just went ahead and slapped a couple of coats of dulux trade satinwood on instead??

Sponsored Links
Nothing really, as it's self-undercoating.

that much I know, but then what would be the benefit of priming???

If I dont, is it going to bubble/ discolour/ flake off???

Sponsored Links
Always prime bare wood... Unless its somewhere you dont see (like an old wardrobe!) or youre about to sell your house ;)

If you paint gloss , satin, eggshell etc. straight onto bare wood it may peel off , primer is 'designed' to provide a stable base for topcoats (inc undercoat) it has properties that seal the grain & pores of the wood , topcoats need this otherwise the wood will simply absorb the solvents in the paint - drying the paint to quickly and affecting the quality/durability of finished surface...
..ahem:cool:

Cheers, much appreciated.

Area not going to be seen.... check.
:LOL: Straight on with the satinwood then :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back