What header tank does a vented cylinder require?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at reworking our kitchen and ideally I would like to move the vented hot water cylinder out the cupboard and into our loft. This would have two benefits the cupboard wall can be knocked out and the space utilised for kitchen storage which we are short of.

Obviously being a vented cylinder I will need to raise the small header tank for the heating system which is fairly simple if I know what head is required?

I also need to clarify what is required in way of a header tank for the hot water side of the system and what pressure head it requires?

Sponsored Links
Minimum 50 gal / 240 litre tank

Its got to be well supported and have a marine ply base.

Buggered if I can remember the dimensions the tank base should project from the widest point of the tank itself though.

Just bear in mind that one litre of water weighs one kilo so do the maths...........

Glad I asked I was hoping I didn't have to raise the whole storage tank set up and could use a smaller additional tank for the hot water side only.........

Space is going to be tight in the loft with the big tank having to be raised is their a minimum head?

Sponsored Links
as high as you can. Minimum of 300mm from the base of the tank to the top of the cylinder.

You be better off having an unvented cylinder installed to be honest

Look at coffin tanks if space is tight - long and low so it might be more suited to your proposed installation

as high as you can. Minimum of 300mm from the base of the tank to the top of the cylinder.

You be better off having an unvented cylinder installed to be honest

It's a solid fuel set up I put in. All works well with the vented system, nice and safe so don't really want to change. I will get the tape out tomorrow night and start looking at the coffin tank option as well. Thinking also about swapping the leak off radiator for a heat dump exchanger plate which I came across at some stage on the web. Dammed if I can find such a thing now though, looked a really neat fail safe solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back