What hole do I cut with this?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

I want to cut a hole in a stainless steel sink for the taps.

What drill bit do I use? B&Q suggested a holesaw:

Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
What's that?

It says suitable for mild steel, copper and aluminium?

Sponsored Links
I've heard about FIXA but that site is the USA one. Search for FIXA on Ikea UK and it's not there. Anyone?

A punch does a much neater job than a hole saw. A step drill or cone drill is an alternative.

If all you can obtain is a bimetal hole saw wedge a block of wood underneath really tight to centre the pilot drill even so it the hole saw will chatter really badly and cut a horrible hole in stainless steel.

They were called a Q-Max cutter in the UK but are also sold under other names or as unbranded.

Any hole is difficult to make in stainless steel.

I suppose a diamond cutter should work but they have to be held in a very stable drill holder.

Tony

Op, What sink? Is it the IKEA one you were looking at a few weeks ago?

Get the correct cutter from your local IKEA store. Hole saw in the picture will make the hole but it certainly will not be neat. Also, stainless steel liable to knacker step cutter.

Daimnod cutter? Tony can you make a movie of this task i.e. cutting a hole in SS sink top?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back