How to drill hole in sink!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a stainless steel sink with no tap hole! Any tips as to how to drill a 35mm hole in it for a monobloc tap. Seems quite flimsy. Thanks :confused:

Sponsored Links
I've just done the same thing. I clamped a block of wood underneath the area to be drilled. Used a center punch to give me a decent start at drilling a pilot hole, around 4mm. Then used a 35mm hole saw from B&Q that stated it could could thin guage metal. It worked pretty well, though I made a point opf trying to keep the drill vertical so it cut the whole section as one.

Then finished of will a rat tail file on the edges to finish it off.

Simon

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all. (Will give jigsaw a miss though I think!)

You can jigsaw a 35mm hole in a stainless sink?
Quicker than I can drill one?
Neater?
Doubt it. Lol.
If you're going to drill it remember stainless work hardens very quickly so once U start don't stop.

You can jigsaw a 35mm hole in a stainless sink?
I have done, starting from a smaller hole.

Quicker than I can drill one?
Certainly not, but not many people have a 35mm drill ;)
And you would want to finish it with a file!

Im surprised there was no suggestion of drilling it daisy chain, then filing :LOL:

Diyisfun said:
Im surprised there was no suggestion of drilling it daisy chain, then filing :LOL:

There was, from ChrisR
...............or drill holes with an HSS drill and file it, ............

Which ever way you do it, SHARP tools only, and the right cutting angles reduce the grief. You could drill as large as you have, then use a multisize cutter or tapered reamer.

Yep, that'll do nicely. The normal drill on the arbor is pants though, you might want to centre-punch and predrill with HSS, just undersize perhaps.

Yes you can drill a hole in the sink as advised by others. But seeing as you're not confident of doing it and you have a choice, why bother?

Take the piece of cr*p back to the place you got it from and get a 'normal' sink with a nice round hole in it put there for your convenience. It is obviously some pile of junk made in the Third World and sold at a vastly inflated price.

There are thousands of sinks out there worth buying- yours isn't one of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back