What id the best way to cut wood dead square in situ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a wooden frame with x4 lengths of 63x38mm sticking out vertically upright, where i need to trim the ends back by 60mm.

The crux of the situation is I need to attach a piece of wood to the ends i am cutting to join all 4 uprights together, so all the cuts i make need to be square.

As they are in situ i cant cut them in my mitre saw (they are 2.5m high).

I considered clamping a mitre block and hand sawing them, however i come across this problem often (sawing wood in situ) so i was wondering what are others experiences of the best way to saw wood, squarely, when it is in situ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is difficult to get an accurate cut, however, if you cut a guide on the mitre saw, using a scrap piece of wood, you could get a good joint.
If the frame has a decorative profile and it's not just flat wood, make sure you pack up the guide straight before clamping it.
Then just use a fine toothed hand saw.

i have a wooden frame with x4 lengths of 63x38mm sticking out vertically upright, where i need to trim the ends back by 60mm.

The crux of the situation is I need to attach a piece of wood to the ends i am cutting to join all 4 uprights together, so all the cuts i make need to be square.

As they are in situ i cant cut them in my mitre saw (they are 2.5m high).

I considered clamping a mitre block and hand sawing them, however i come across this problem often (sawing wood in situ) so i was wondering what are others experiences of the best way to saw wood, squarely, when it is in situ?

Thanks
Clamp a straight edge either side then use a sharp handsaw. Use the straight-edge as a saw rest.

Clamp the head timber you will fit on the top to the cut line and use that as the guide.

Since using Japanese saws for a few years, I've realised how easy these are to use in all situations - especially raised positions and the fine blade and pull motion makes it much easier to keep a cut square - the saw guides itself once the cut is started.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
i was wondering what are others experiences of the best way to saw wood, squarely, when it is in situ
Hand saw and skill

its possible to cut virtually dead square by hand

its impossible to trim off a mm by hand with a saw, or anything else really

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back