What internal return do I need?

15 Jun 2016
Reaction score
United Kingdom
At the back of our Kitchen the return is 280cm wide - we have a small window only at present on this wall, with a door to the side to exit into the garden. (its a two storey wall with a bedroom above it)

We are looking to install as wide as possible French windows or bi fold doors into the end of the building that's 280cm wide.

The walls are solid red brick (1895-1905)
Can anyone please confirm what is the maximum width opening we will be able to have using just an RSJ and using existing brickwork to support the RSJ?
(I've seen there are wider options with the goalpost construction, but I think funds means it will be the normal RSJ or Lintel job.

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local