What is a reasonable cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hopefully someone in the trade will be able to give me an idea if I'm paying over the odds for some work I am having done. I have had an estimate of £500 to paint the ceileing and coving, gloss the woodwork (incl undercoat) and paper the walls (paper not included). Room size is approx 6m x 3m x 3m. First house so never had any work done before to gauge prices by! I live in northern Scotland too. Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Get a few other quotes - also from retired p & d's.

Just off the phone to my own house to check with the old boy who is doing mine - he did my previous house when we 1st got married 12 years ago - he was 61 then!!!

2 coats of emulsion in living room [7m x 4m] + paper on one wall.
2 coats of emulsion in dining-room [3m x 4m]
Emulsion both ceilings incl covings
Gloss skirtings in both rooms & hallway + 2 doors.

We provided all materials

Supplied him with as many choccy biscuits and brews as he required of course :)

£165 for all his excellent work.

Yes he's retired and not a bona fide firm anymore so he doesn't compare in price to the guys on here who are currently making a living [tax/vat/overheads etc etc] - but it suited us both.

I'm in Renfrewshire by the way - but retirement is nationwide ;)

It's not quite fair to even begin to compare my job to yours using a full-time tradesperson - you'll get a more realistic price on here.

Homer

Hi, hopefully someone in the trade will be able to give me an idea if I'm paying over the odds for some work I am having done. I have had an estimate of £500 to paint the ceileing and coving, gloss the woodwork (incl undercoat) and paper the walls (paper not included). Room size is approx 6m x 3m x 3m. First house so never had any work done before to gauge prices by! I live in northern Scotland too. Thanks for your help!

Dont know about £500 in Northern scottyland but down here in Darkest Dorset I would say your not being ripped off (as long as work is good ) 18ft x 9ft Depends on windows/ rads to paper round etc etc tho

There are two large windows to be papered round, a radiator he is papering behind and a door to paint. I know I could probably get it cheaper but as it's my first time I thought I'd go for a well regarded local company, who are also registered with the trade professional body. Can't be doing with cowboys and problems!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like about 3 days work tops..500 seems steep compared to rates in this area but about right (maybe 50 over) for a big city like London.

Day 1 Fill, paint ceiling twice, rub down woodwork and undercoat

Dat 2 Rub down walls, size, gloss...cut paper for the next day..set out the walls

Day 3 Paper.

If the decorators cute and aint got much prepping he may be able to do it in two days if he uses acrylic.

Remember if its a local 'company' i.e a firm with a few staff ...youll pay more..the boss will want a slice and he also has to pay overheads...or...ovor heeeeds as you say up there.. ;)

I am in Aberdeen and that price sounds right to me,I'd have lined the walls as well for that price personally so I guess Zampa's right with it being very slightly over,certainly nothing to worry about.
You're lucky to get someone to do it so quick if they can do it before xmas thats a miracle!!

The sizes indicate to me a bay window,typical lounge\dining room in a granite house in Aberdeen(shire).

What kind of paper is getting hung,it may be a good idea to line first.

Zampa's schedule is about right.

Using acrylic underocat is fine,crown trade has a great acrylic undercoat,if it's larger firm (lawrence milne,mclarens etc) they will prob make it 2 days,nothing wrong with that.

If it's finish paper I prefer lining the walls first,but thats personal preference.

You might get them to line it for the £500,for all the time it takes.

Try websites like ratedpeople etc for local tradesmen,they encourage people to review tradesmen which is better.

You're lucky to get someone to do it so quick if they can do it before xmas thats a miracle!!

Interesting point there from painterman..

Sounds like they have given you a 'take it leave it' price given the circumstances.

I really need it doing in the first two weeks of january as that's when i get my Chrismas holiday (don't ask!) so maybe I'm paying a premium for timings. The papaer I'm getting hung is textured vinyl as hopefully that'll hide the slight rippling in my plasterboard walls. Would that need a lining?

They schedule they've given my is 3 days, which ties in with the schedule that's been shown on here. I've tried ratedpeople and am still waiting for any replies. Thanks for your help, I'll try and knock them down a little or get it lined if it requires lining.

3 days work eh.

If that were your local, friendly, Corgi registered plumber, talking boilers' and rad's..it would cost you £1500.... and they only swan up at 9.30....If you're lucky :cry:

Id hate to be a plumber..I'd only work one day a week and spend the other four on the ****!!

3 days work eh.

If that were your local, friendly, Corgi registered plumber, talking boilers' and rad's..it would cost you £1500.... and they only swan up at 9.30....If you're lucky :cry:
Well said :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hi, thanks gents. I've had a few quotes now and for the area I live in and timescale that I have in mind this is one of the best. He comes recommended locally so I'll pay a bit extra for that! Seasons greetings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back