What is acceptable flatness for floor tile base?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've self levelled my concrete floor. Has got rid of some irregularities but has not turned out to be the billiard table I was naively expecting. The main kitchen is approx 8x5m and I'm hoping to lay 600x300 tiles.

If I lay a nice straight 4m length of 5x2 there is an area in the middle that dips to varying degrees. I suppose in the worst instance about 8mm, but an average is more like 4-5mm. However, when I place my 6' level on these offending areas that gap almost halves.

Clearly the longer straight edge is highlighting the issue more, so I was wondering what is acceptable to tile onto or whether I should battle another couple of bags of SLC to try and bring the dipped area up again. God knows if I’ll fix it or cause more issues!

Not sure if the dipped area will cause much tile rocking, but will it be visible when looking across the kitchen?

Thoughts and ideas appreciated

Sponsored Links
I got up to 20mm at some points in our kitchen. Used hand mix cement based tile adhesive (was a killer mixing it!).

Suppose you have to weigh up pros and cons but at 10mm I'd happily level with correct tile adhesive as well.

20170821_200941.jpg
20170824_225018.jpg
20170824_142338.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back