What is behind this plastic cladding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What’s the deal with this exterior plastic cladding? My house is similar to the one on the left

I know the external wall are cavity insulated, but what about the plastic bit? What’s behind? And what would it take to make it like the house on the right?

Attachments

• 9F7D3971-056D-4080-A0E0-BB71E0625F42.jpeg
    9F7D3971-056D-4080-A0E0-BB71E0625F42.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 337
Sponsored Links
To be honest, it's hard to say.
I assume that it's brick underneath.

What’s the deal with this exterior plastic cladding? My house is similar to the one on the left

I know the external wall are cavity insulated, but what about the plastic bit? What’s behind? And what would it take to make it like the house on the right?
that particular one is timber -its floating, so its supported by cantilevered joists.

if your house had cladding from new its probably either blockwork or timber stud.

in either case, the external wall will have sheathing, a membrane and vertical battens before the cladding

Sponsored Links
I assume the houses were all the same when they were built (in the 1960s)
What do you think they did to the house on the right, then?

The mortar lines of the bricks of the bay, don't line up with the ones on the rest of the building, so probably the bricks are not full depth bricks - likely they are just a few mm thick brick slips stuck on to the fabric. Perfect colour match though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back