What is best for ground cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a ditch that runs down the side of my house that never gets any water in it. It is currently full of brambles that we are clearing. What would be the best type of ground cover to cover the entire ditch?

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Ivy will grow on a shady bank..... but you are going to have to poison the brambles chemicaly first (you may think you have em all out but you never have!)

Sponsored Links
... we have a very dark bank a the house end of the garden and we planted ferns... lots of them, ever green and good cover.

sidecar_jon said:
... we have a very dark bank a the house end of the garden and we planted ferns... lots of them, ever green and good cover.

Smell nice too!

countygardens said:
sidecar_jon said:

Smell nice too!

maybe they do .. i might notice if the neigbourhoods cats didnt love the garden for thier poo.

If it is darkish try a great little plant called 'mind your own business'. Low and not offensive.

It spreads really well in one season so a few pots will go a long way, gently break it into small clumps and keep well watered for awhile.

It goes very well with ferns and looks great on humps and bumps. You can even get silver and gold coloured to make a pattern.

loublou said:
If it is darkish try a great little plant called 'mind your own business'. Low and not offensive.

It spreads really well in one season so a few pots will go a long way, gently break it into small clumps and keep well watered for awhile.

It goes very well with ferns and looks great on humps and bumps. You can even get silver and gold coloured to make a pattern.

Also called 'baby's tears' or Soleirolia soleirolii (syn. Helixine soleirolii)

see this link http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0805/soleirolia.asp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back