what is best sds drill and masonary bits for under a ton?

This might fit your needs.

http://www.itslondon.co.uk/pd_MAK110HR2230_HR2230_MakitaSDSHammerDrill.htm

It doesn't have a rotary stop on it so you can't use it with a chisel bit, the option is available but at a slightly higher cost.

It does come with 15 sds bits, all the popular sizes.

As for choosing a brand every man and his dog will have an opinion but reputable brands (in your price range) are Makita, Bosch (blue), De walt,
Metabo, Hitachi.

You might consider looking at Wickes pro range of tools (grey and red) a lot of their stuff is made by Kress a very well respected manufacturer.

Sponsored Links
Ok, just to throw another high quality brand in there...........FERN....or is it FERM!

My corded SDS drill has lasted me 5 years now, its certainly been given a beasting. It did argue with me and started smoking when i tried drilling a 15mm hole through about 400mm wall, it hit a hard part of a brick. So my mate came round with this Bosch blue cordless and slid straight through it no problems.
However, after smoking heavily that day, over 2 years ago, to this day its still going strong. Even used the chisel bit as a breaker when digging the foundation for my extension (loosening up old hardcore).

So FERN....or is it FERM ftw!! :p (tonge firnly or is it firmly planted in cheek).

I've had a blue Bosch for 22 years - and it was well second hand when I bought it. I can't kill the lil' bleeder - and I want a nice shiny new one. :cry:

Bosch blue all the way, DeWalt is Black&Decker in a yellow case and is crap, Bosch also has the advantage of a three year warranty, with five day turnaround, so should anything go wrong you have backup and get your repaired or replaced tool back fast.

You can pick up a brand new GBH 2-23 for under £100 - good drill with 23mm drilling capacity in masonry (or 68mm cores) - at BearingBoys, where it's currently £88.75. That gives you a little bit over to buy some drill bits for under the ton. Doesn't have rotostop though so you can't chisel, for that you'll need to stretch yourself just a little and get the GBH 2-26 for £115.00

Sponsored Links
Bosch blue all the way...........so should anything go wrong

Go wrong! Are you mad. :eek:

I know, generally very reliable. Having said that the chuck on my GSB36 went west under warranty last week, so I tested this five day service thing. Phoned on Tuesday, collected by FedEx on Wednesday, returned to me on Monday with a new chuck and a new gearbox. Well impressed - five days even seems to cover the weekend. Actually surprised it broke although it does get a pounding but the service is so good it doesn't bother me too much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back