WHAT IS CLASSED AS AN OUTBUILDING?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:(

Hi

Just a quick question.

On the 27 October 2013 we had a burglary from the garage. Around £7,000 of equipment
(mainly Makita tools) were taken.

Due to major surgery just a week after the burglary and the life altering affects of the surgery,
plus lots of other problems, I am only now finishing off the claim.

Yes exactly a year.

Around April I did sent the insurance company a long list of virtually everything stolen, with
receipts etc.

The pedestrian garage door that was ripped out of the frame has still not been replaced as
I still haven't contacted the door replacement company yet.

MY QUESTION IS ABOUT WHAT IS CLASSED AS AN OUTBUILDING

My garage is separated from the main property by a full height rear wooden door, above the
door there is NOT a lintel or brickwork.

So from where the kitchen ends, the 'full height wall' continues for around 36 inches,
24 inches before GARDEN EXTERNAL DOOR then 12 inches of
brickwork before it connects to the main garage wall.

There is no break/gap between this 12 inches that continues to run the whole length of the garage.

The 12 inches is the section before the up & over garage door starts.

Does anyone know if this is classed as an outbuilding?

I ask because I've just read the small print and The Prudential only pays out £2,000 for
outbuilding thefts.

The police registered this as a burglary.

To reiterate - there is no break between the bungalow and the garage apart from a garden door
connected either side by wall that is connected to bungalow and on other side a large garage.

There is nothing "above" the rear outside door apart from a LPG gas pipe
and electric cable in conduit running directly from garage into kitchen.

DRIVE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GARAGE DOOR

KITCHEN ENDS but wall continues (24") WOODEN DOOR then 12" wall

The wall continues from the 8 inch section the full length of garage.

Abount 5 meters from UP & OVER garage door is the pedestrian door
that was ripped out from frame.

Many thanks in advance.

Stephen

Sponsored Links
I don’t really follow your explanation tbh, got a photo or two or/and a sketch of the layout? I’ll reserve judgement until further info is provided.

It's really going to just depend on what your insurance company class it as.

But put simply, if the garage is attached to the house with a door to through to the house it will be classed as a burglary dwelling. If it stand alone or there is no access to the house, the police will record ot as burglary non-dwelling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back