What is dry lining?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for my ignorance.
Just had some windows put in.
It states on the survey that they should have arc and liner, but I'm certain the liner part wasn't done as there are huge gaps top and bottom which have been covered with architrave.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
sounds like you have the old sash windows, are they fixed to the internal leaf of brickwork?

The sashes and boxes have been removed.
On the survey for double glazing it says line for only one of the windows.
There are 4 windows exactly the same, that had the same old timber frames.
We have large gaps at the sides of the windows where they don't quite fit to accomodate where the frames were.
They have covered this with architrave and sealed on the outside with sealant.
They are still drafty though.

If they had lined these gaps(presumably) would this have been like a plaster render to meet the frames which then could have been covered with architrave?

the brickwork openings on the old sash type windows consisted of a 4" step back on the internal leaf, that would have acommodated sash cords, pulleys, weights etc, if your new windows have been fitted to the external leaf, then the window company should have made good the internal with either masonry or timber and plastering up to existing.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the confusion.
The boxes that the cords/weights were in were done previously.
The new windows are simply screwed into this.
However, they are not quite big wnough in places.
A 5mm gap is acceptable for expansion, but these have up to 50mm in places.
So, the survey said arc and line which I presume is dry line. Which would have made good these gaps inside?

The alternative is expanding foam, see expanding foam topic further down in forum.

So.... what is drylining? Is it a plaster render type thing?

Cheers.

plasterboard stuck to wall with dabs of adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back