Gap between door lining and steel plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Whilst striping back the paint and architrave from our door linings, interior, I have revealed a gap between the wood lining and wall above. The wall has a steel plate/beam that I guess once sat on the lining.

The lining the level and frame pretty square. If I moved the lining to sit flush with the steel the door would be very out of alignment indeed! So much so that the door would not be able to be planed to sit true with the top of the frame (the gap is an inch at max).

So, Can I fill this gap safely? Do I have to? The architrave will cover it without problem. If filling it is a better solution, what with? Muck Wood?

Thanks!

Ste

Sponsored Links
The steel is probably the underside of an rsj or lintel. Unlikely that it ever touched the frame at all. The frame may have been fitted with spacers or wedges which would cause the gap.These might have fallen out. Get a few timber wedges or bit of ply to space the frame from the steel and you can either fill the gap with mortar or expanding foam.

By your decription I can't quite figure out if the steel is level or not, it should be, if not then some more investigation will be required.

I am pretty sure the frame was flush with the steel and the frame has been adjusted in the recent past to accommodate a straight door. The gap is a triangle in shape from one side of the door to the other. Same approach? Wooden spacers and mortar?

If the frame had not been adjusted, 2cm would have had to be taken off the door at one end, and none at the other. Obviously, 2cm is more than can be taken off a none solid door so...

The house is some 40 years old, maybe movement accounts for the unlevel steel/wall line? We obviously had a survey done before moving and this, as I am sure they all do with property of this age, noted that movement had occurred.

Thanks!

Ste

Sounds ok then. Normally the frame is in place before hanging the door. As you are re-jigging the frame to fit the door this becomes slightly trickier. Yes, still go with timber cut into wedges (like doorstops) when packing out. You can slide them back and forth til the spacing is correct.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back