What is energy saving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is energy saving?

I think this is a subject for debate. Energy saving is very different to money saving because of the vast difference between costs of gas, electric and oil but some of that is due to losses in converting gas to electricity so not clearly defined.

Energy is used for lighting and heating of the home. The heating of the home is paramount in this discussion. There are two basic methods. Convection where the air is heated and circulated around the home and Radiation when heat is transferred from the heater direct to the body within it’s range.

The problem with Radiation is how to measure as most thermostats are white in colour and so reflect radiated heat.

However in most homes the temperature set can be reduced by 2 degrees where radiated heat is used.

What we are looking at is how much heat leaves the house with each system and what energy is required to cool the house.

During the summer the less heat produced the better. But during the winter one is only looking at unwanted heat. So for example in the summer a CFU for lighting must save energy but during the winter since the heat is not only wanted but with tungsten lamps radiated is could well be it saves energy by using tungsten rather than CFU’s?

Of course it will depend on how much. A kitchen with 10 tungsten 50mm down lighters is very likely to use more energy even with a radiator thermostatic valve than a kitchen using discharge lighting (florescent) but again it would also depend on what was used to cook with.

Microwave ovens and induction hobs put most of the energy into the food. The other extreme with gas ovens and gas hobs likely also huge extractor fans will be required not only to remove the heat but also all the moisture generated.

This also applies to items like the tumble drier when the type using a heat pump does not remove any hot air from the room but the type with a heater is not only pumping out hot air from the tumble drier but also air heated by central heating so in turn drawing in cold air from outside.

As we start to consider the heating options it becomes apparent that winter and summer are very different and if we look at countries in the warmer areas we see the use of CFU’s is very high where then are more worried about keeping the home cool than in keeping it warm. So in the UK Scotland must be very different to England when considering if CFU’s rather than tungsten should be used for lighting.

I asked the energy saving trust for information but is seems that integrated testing has not been carried out and although they admit the use of CFU’s in Scotland will produce vey different figures to using CFU’s in England they have no information as to what that difference is.

It seems that each item is taken in isolation and no account is taken as to for example how much the heat given off from a tungsten lamp will reduce the temperature required to feel comfortable. I would estimate around 2 degrees.

So the question is how much do we consider the individual power requirements to how much the overall power requirements? In other words is a tungsten lamps at 60W gives us 10W of light and 40W of heat and means we reduce the thermostat setting by 10 degrees is it saving or wasting energy?

Does blowing out pre-heated air with a tumble drier save or waist energy compared with a tumble drier that does not blow air out side? (And we are not considering the dangers of producing a negative pressure and drawing in combustion gasses from gas fires).

The same question as to gas hobs to induction hobs where with the former extractors are required to remove both heat and moisture produced by the gas. The same to lesser extent with microwave and other type of ovens again any gas oven is producing moisture as well as heat.

Of course there is a consideration as to if moisture is wanted or not? Many consider the moisture produced with a gas oven improves the produce produced!

But question is energy saving not quality of light or food so what is the consensuses do energy saving devices really save energy or is it just a marketing measure?

Sponsored Links
The problem with Radiation is how to measure as most thermostats are white in colour and so reflect radiated heat.
The manufacturers who make foil to stick behind radiators got it wrong then. Just needs some white paint slapped around.

Insulate ceilings? Don't bother insulating the attic, just paint your ceiling white.

According to Which?, vented dryers use about a fifth less energy to dry a given load than a condsensing one.
This may be true, but there is another factor to consider:

During the winter, when a tumble dryer is more likely to be used, a condensing dryer puts warm air into the room, thereby offsetting the energy used for space heating that room, whereas a vented dryer puts (nearly) all that excess heat outside.

According to Which?, vented dryers use about a fifth less energy to dry a given load than a condsensing one.

Finding this hard to believe, if it is true, then why are most "A rated" dryers condensers? unless your second point is taken intoaccound in the energy efficiency test, which again, I find hard to believe.

Sponsored Links

Finding this hard to believe, if it is true, then why are most "A rated" dryers condensers? unless your second point is taken intoaccound in the energy efficiency test, which again, I find hard to believe.

I don't know either!

But I do suspect that a lot of these energy ratings are measured under specific and maybe unrealistic conditions. (Like a 7 hour lukewarm program to dry some pants). All smoke and mirrors.

Finding this hard to believe ...
Because far-from-moisture-free air from the condenser (rather than fairly dry 'fresh air') is recirculated through the dryer, the time taken to dry a given load increases, hence energy consumption rises. The main advantages of a condensing dryer are (a) that it avoids the need to have exhaust ducting and (b) that most heat (from the heat converter, rather than directly expelled hot air) remains in the house, which results in an appreciable reduction in energy consumption for house heating (at times of year when house heating is required). The latter, of course, should be taken into account in a proper 'energy efficiency' calculation/rating - but goodness knows whether 'they' do!

Kind Regards, John.

hot moist air needs to be vented so any gain will need to be balanced against excessive moisture needing to be ventilated

We recently inherited a condensing tumble dryer to replace a very old vented type, and I was amazed that it produces absolutley no condensation on even a single-glazed outside door.

hot moist air needs to be vented so any gain will need to be balanced against excessive moisture needing to be ventilated
I'm not too sure what you're saying here. The whole point of a condensing dryer is obviously that no hot moist air is vented - it is cooled and largely (but not totally) freed of moisture in the heat exchanger/ conderser and all remains within the house.

As I said, how 'proper' the energy calculations and 'ratings' are depends upon the extent to which they take account of heat lost to outside the house (with a non-condensing dryer) or heat gained within the house (with a condensing one).

Kind Regards, John.

a condensing dryer puts warm air into the room, thereby offsetting the energy used for space heating

True, but then the energy it consumes (electricity) is a lot more expensive than that to heat your home conventially (gas).

a condensing dryer puts warm air into the room, thereby offsetting the energy used for space heating

True, but then the energy it consumes (electricity) is a lot more expensive than that to heat your home conventially (gas).

Very true.

I was wondering, along with several others, if this offset was used in the efficiency calculations. Surely some recycling of heat is better than venting it all outside from an energy efficiency p.o.v.

A, B, C ratings are relative within a type of product, and condenser and vented dryers are not the same type.

Just like any A rated dryer uses more energy than an F rated washing machine, an A rated condenser dryer uses more than an A rated vented one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...ines.2C_tumble_dryers_and_combined_appliances

Not sure what maths Which? did to come up with "about a fifth less energy" though.

And maybe the reason for most A rated dryers being condensers is that type is more popular, so that's where the makers are concentrating their efforts in producing new, and more efficient models?

Indeed, but eric acknowledged that in his OP, saying that his interest was is true energy saving, not cost saving (which, as you say, is very much affected by differential costs of different fuels and different ways of using them).

Kind Regards, John

off peak energy can cost you money if you don't use it properly dependant on what you pay in the differential

i pay around 10p a unit any time
if your cheap rate is say 3p a units and peak rates are say 25p and dont make full use off off peak it will cost you more and possibly a lot more :cry:

off peak energy can cost you money if you don't use it properly dependant on what you pay in the differential. i pay around 10p a unit any time. if your cheap rate is say 3p a units and peak rates are say 25p and dont make full use off off peak it will cost you more and possibly a lot more :cry:
Very true - but you are talking about potential cost saving, not energy saving. Cost saving matters directly and immediately to you and I, but energy saving matters more to the planet.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back