What is fair price for a boiler install ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 20yr old Potterton netaheat conventional boiler which needs updating. I am considering a non combi condensing Vaillant or Baxi replacement to fit existng installation supply pipes.
What would be a fair price for a typical instal, if I supplied the boiler from an internet or local supplier? ( around £700 inc vat).

Incidentally, I have in the distant past installed 2 central heating systems from scratch, so installing a boiler is not something I am worried about, apart from the obvious Gas regulations.

Do the current CORGI regulations only refer to the gas side of the install or to the complete boiler install ?
I am not querying the object of the CORGI regs in any way.

Sponsored Links
Depending on what else needs upgrading at the time of boiler change, I would think around £900 + VAT labour.

Other parts/controls etc would push it to about £1300-£1500 + VAT.

If you supply the boiler yourself you will only get the manufacturers warranty, not one from your installer.

Get 3 quotes from local installers.

Slag them off for being money grabbing cowboys.

Get in British Gas.

Eat hat.

OK thanks for replies,
I see most boiler manufacturers are giving at least a 2yr full warranty. I am currently on a BGas care package but they say the boiler is too old, although working A1... so I don't see why I should pay them £200 a year for checking the radiators.

Sponsored Links
It's not corgi regulations you are contrivening it's the GSIUR. GAS SAFETY AND INSTALLATION, USE REGULATIONS. Which clearly states no person who is not registered with an approved regulatory body(CORGI, for the time being) shall carry out work on a gas carrying pipeline, or an appliance which is fitted to said pipeline. You fit boiler you breach regs.

It's not just the hanging off the boiler and piping up you pay an RGI, it's all the SAFETY CHECKS, FLUE IS CORRECT etc that they carry out, you pay for. NO Respecting RGI is goner come and say it's right without wanting to strip everything down you've done. As it's his head if he does on the line. 5 years banged up to save you a couple of bucks, no chance!

As for a set price or reasonable price. There isn't one, A RGI will issue you a price dependant on the work he/she feels is approiate to the job in hand. But from your post i get the distinct impression, you have either been ripped off in the past or you have watched too many rogue trader programs and feel we are all out to con you! :rolleyes:

Thanks for that.
As I said, the current installation is working A1, especially as the Boys in blue have been maintaining it at my expense for the last few years of its life, but now say they can't get the parts.
The boiler will go where the existing one is and just need pipework to fit. There is a drain directly under the flue exit.
I know how much work is involved in a boiler fit.. and yes I have been quoted by 'experts' £475 to fit a piece of £20 guttering and I would never pay a garage £300 for a service.. and yes see rogue traders for any further input on that.
I will get quotes but wondered what others had paid.. thats all.
Any other replies would be welcome.

Why do people come on hear asking about a 'fair price' which is pretty much impossible to answer, costs are different based on loads of different scenarios, geographical for one, not to mention a sole trader will more than likely have lower overheads than a large company.

Its quite simple, a fair price is what you are happy to pay for it :evil:

Get three quotes from different people and if possible specify the boiler you want so they are all quoting the same and make your mind up from there.

get 3 quotes on the same boiler (cheap ones are generally a false economy) and offer to pay cash.

Hi, not a plumber but just had full central heating installed and I'd second the 'get a number of quotes' advice. I had quotes ranging from 9K to 17K approx. I went for the only guy who did a pressure/flow test

Specifying a boiler is the only way you can compare like-for-like but you'll find that many people only bother to quote for specific makes (either because they can get the cheap of because they are familiar with the install)

Best discuss on the phone first as you'll save a load of time cutting out people that can't/won't do what you want

Good luck !

Hi, not a plumber but just had full central heating installed and I'd second the 'get a number of quotes' advice. I had quotes ranging from 9K to 17K approx. I went for the only guy who did a pressure/flow test

Specifying a boiler is the only way you can compare like-for-like but you'll find that many people only bother to quote for specific makes (either because they can get the cheap of because they are familiar with the install)

Best discuss on the phone first as you'll save a load of time cutting out people that can't/won't do what you want

Good luck !

must be a very large house for 9-17k htg system! was BG the 17k quote by any chance?

big 3 storey 5 bed semi, all new pipes,rads,boiler, unvented cyl, rip out old, resiting boiler/cyl into loft

Nah the £17K was from a friend of my wife !

Most were £9K-£12K

BG were just over £10K I think but they wouldn't do unvented - only a thermal store - was tempted by them though ;)

Paid £9K in the end - but as i said I went for the only guy who did a pressure/flow test. Plastic pipes though - hope i don't regret it ;)

Still not sure if that was a reasonable price but it had to be done so just got on with it

big 3 storey 5 bed semi, all new pipes,rads,boiler, unvented cyl, rip out old, resiting boiler/cyl into loft

Nah the £17K was from a friend of my wife !

Most were £9K-£12K

BG were just over £10K I think but they wouldn't do unvented - only a thermal store - was tempted by them though ;)

Paid £9K in the end - but as i said I went for the only guy who did a pressure/flow test. Plastic pipes though - hope i don't regret it ;)

Still not sure if that was a reasonable price but it had to be done so just got on with it

what boiler and what make of cylinder? sounds reasonable price-you were right not to go with BG (aka ****ish gas)

WB Boiler (30 CDI ??? not sure about model) - flue through roof

Santon 250L cylinder - solar jobby for potential future solar add-on

ps Thanks for the reassurance on the price. I know the 'pros' on here get frustrated by people asking pricing questions but for us 'punters' its a big spend and when you get quotes that are literally double - for the same job then its quite hard to come to a reasoned conclusion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back