Is this a fair price for a new boiler installation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been quoted £1475 + VAT to install a new Potterton wall mounted. The price includes fitting, digital room thermostat, pump, timer etc.

Anyone know if the price is right?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends. What is being replaced, how big is the system, exactly which Potty is being suggested? Any mention of flushing the system? Installing thermostatic rad valves?
And where are you!

I'd suggest stop worrying how cheap you can get it, and make sure you get the best you can stretch to. Heating systems are really in your face when they stop working.

There's no right price, but it can be a right pain in the butt.

Sponsored Links
Impossible to tell if a quote is ok without seeing it....you may live in a grade one listed building with granite walls!!. The age old adage is get three or more quotes and take one in the middle, but if you want peace of mind maybe take the BG one or if you are thinking of moving soon take the lowest one.

....... if you are thinking of moving soon take the lowest one.

Eee.....that's unfair, (no offence meant) I'm sure you've seen the abominations people have had inflicted on them when they move into a new house, when for a few hundred more a good system could have been installed.

I must get further quotes you're right. My house is a three bedroom Victorian terraced in London. I haven't received the written quote yet so I'm not sure what Potterton he is quoting for but he said it's the most popular on the market at the moment. Thermostatic rad valves will be included. I just wondered whether this price is way over or not.

Thanks

our combi is a potterton puma, its only a personall recomendation, but DON'T have one.

what ever you do have get a 3* bg contract, saves loads of grief, yesterday we had bg here, (again, and they are coming back Monday, and again Tuesday , but they don't know that bit yet)

the bloke said bg will not install potterton, but either there is a lot of them in our area, or they fail quite a lot, he did say Valiant are good

Every boiler will be a nightmare if installed by bob the builder. If you think BG can identify and clear every fault on every boiler on first call, dream on. Look for an engineer who is good, takes his time, is not cheap AND will carry out the installation to the book and then service/ maintain the boiler thereon.

The flushing issue is important. I assume it's NOT a combi because the pump was mentioned separately. so it is probably an open system which is likely to be affected by sludge. (If you'd answered my question I wouldn't have to guess...) If the replacement boiler is a Suprima then you could rapidly block it with old system corrosion products. There must be a million or so Suprimas installed - more than any other single boiler probably, but we see a lot of breakdowns needing an expensive pcb replaced. May or may not be a better choice out there.

There are other variables on any job. Depends how far into London you are, too. I for one wouldn't quote the job at all if it was in Knightsbridge but could beat the price easily if it's Wimbledon.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly:

There have been some Quotes for this topic

make sure you get the best you can stretch to

Oilman, as ever top marks; nothing worse than a cheap nasty installation!

what ever you do have get a 3* bg contract

Brezzer, this really bad........ really bad!! BG are a massive company who take advantage of customers not prepared to shop around. I am forever telling people I do work for that even if they don't like me, get a reputable service engineer to do your servicing. At around 2/3rds of the cost you can have your boiler serviced, and with the saving made you could fix most problems on the boiler if anything major goes wrong. Yet with BG you pay for the major problem every year even if nothing breaks down.
Ultimately this is a DIY site!!!

if you are thinking of moving soon take the lowest one.

This just results in a poor job that has to be ripped out anyhow!!!

Thats my rant over :LOL:

we went to bg after having several "experts" "fix" our boiler, i understand what you are saying, but i guess it was more a case of "desperation" than anything else, house freezing cold, mrs breezer complaing, we have found that with bg, at least if a part is required it is in and fitted next day, unlike one company we had, 3 days later, and no phone call to say why they hadn't turned up as promised.

We also tried several others, who said things like "too busy" or "i have just come back from a call and am not going out again"

also regretfully the origonal bloke who installed it is now in the big heating world in the sky

i have no offence to the little guy, far from it, but what do you do when it is a one man band, all be it sounding like an orchestra (he is that good) and he is on holiday for 2 weeks and your system is not working

sorry its bg for us

what ever you do have get a 3* bg contract

Brezzer, this really bad........ really bad!! BG are a massive company who take advantage of customers not prepared to shop around. I am forever telling people I do work for that even if they don't like me, get a reputable service engineer to do your servicing. At around 2/3rds of the cost you can have your boiler serviced, and with the saving made you could fix most problems on the boiler if anything major goes wrong. Yet with BG you pay for the major problem every year even if nothing breaks down.
Ultimately this is a DIY site!!!

if you are thinking of moving soon take the lowest one.

This just results in a poor job that has to be ripped out anyhow!!!

Thats my rant over :LOL:[/quote]

can't argue about the fact that most are cheaper than BG, and that there are some more skilled and experienced engineers in the private field. problem is a good heating engineer hasn't got time to come round on demand while BG have that advantage (if they use it!). Also the smaller guys cannot throw expensive parts on a boiler lke pcb's and these are not always too reliable. Also let's not forget peace of mind, some don't care some do.

As for the quote about taking the lowest quote if your moving I meant it tongue in cheek, but obviously not referring to getting cowboys in, just your budget parts boys with back to back rads ;)

Comments taken on board guys!!

don't want to upset anyone :LOL:

Just upset at how big the BIG BOYZ really are. Case of sour grapes I suppose!!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back