What is fair price for a boiler install ?

WB Boiler (30 CDI ??? not sure about model) - flue through roof

Santon 250L cylinder - solar jobby for potential future solar add-on

both quality bits of kit. don't worry about the plastic pipe. sounds like a good price to me. I don't know who could've quoted 17k but that is very overpriced!

Sponsored Links
cheers dmouse - The £17K was my first quote and i nearly had a heart attack !!!

But it all worked out in the end - very happy with the setup

cheers :LOL:

ps Thanks for the reassurance on the price. I know the 'pros' on here get frustrated by people asking pricing questions but for us 'punters' its a big spend and when you get quotes that are literally double - for the same job then its quite hard to come to a reasoned conclusion.

cheers dmouse - The £17K was my first quote and i nearly had a heart attack !!!

But it all worked out in the end - very happy with the setup

cheers :LOL:

ps Thanks for the reassurance on the price. I know the 'pros' on here get frustrated by people asking pricing questions but for us 'punters' its a big spend and when you get quotes that are literally double - for the same job then its quite hard to come to a reasoned conclusion.

considering the boiler and cylinder used (both quality), size of house (well above average) and all the pipework you've done well. There is nothing wrong with plastic pipe! Not all tradesman are extorionate but a minority give the trade a bad rep.

yeah and its not just heating/plumbing - i had exactly the same re. the electrics work we had done. quotes at 2K, 3.5K and 5K - for the same job ? I went for the cheapest (he was highly recommended) and he did a great job with it all

Funny old game though quoting for stuff. I don't think any of the quotes I had were rip-off merchants but I think a lot of it is the perceived risk in the job. In our case some people saw 'big house' uh-oh could be lots of nasties under the floorboards so they up the quote to allow for that.

Sponsored Links
In our case some people saw 'big house' uh-oh could be lots of nasties under the floorboards so they up the quote to allow for that.
More likely they thought: Big House - Rolling in it - Think of a number then double it :eek:

Some guys just don't want the work and rather than be up front and tell someone they bump up the price to ridiculous levels.

I had quotes for a monoblock drive (140m2) ranging from £6.5K to £15.5K in the end I paid £7K and the job was excellent. I've had a 30 ton tipper up the drive with very little damage.

working in a house at the moment where last week Bg quoted and were paid 7800 for a basic boiler swap,

was embarrassed to be part of it..

working in a house at the moment where last week Bg quoted and were paid 7800 for a basic boiler swap,

was embarrassed to be part of it..

i bet the shareholders aren't embaressed! ££££££££££

I think that its totally reasonable to ask for a target price for a job as long as considerable detail and location are given. Not just "new boiler and 7 rads"!

I used to try to persuade the site owner that it was a reasonable question to ask as long as the answers warned about the variables involved.

The 17k customer above, I seem to remember my rule of thumb telephone quotation system came up with £12k but that would have been all in copper ( probably £12.5 k now! )

Tony

I think that its totally reasonable to ask for a target price for a job as long as considerable detail and location are given. Not just "new boiler and 7 rads"!

I used to try to persuade the site owner that it was a reasonable question to ask as long as the answers warned about the variables involved.

The 17k customer above, I seem to remember my rule of thumb telephone quotation system came up with £12k but that would have been all in copper ( probably £12.5 k now! )

Tony

cheers tony

WB Boiler (30 CDI ??? not sure about model) - flue through roof

Santon 250L cylinder - solar jobby for potential future solar add-on

I would have said been better to keep the existing heating pipework if it was reasonably sound. Plastic is is nowhere close to copper when it comes to reliability. Still, the guy who did the job wasn't complaining when he went to the scrap yard :cool: Id say a cool £500 for that size house worth of copper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back