1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

What Is It With Plumbers

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by GTL, 4 Feb 2020.

1. GTL

GTL

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm trying or should I say, been trying for the past six months to get a plumber to fit a new bathroom suite but every time I phone my local plumbers they say "I'll phone you back", but never do. So what is it with plumbers that they don't want to fit a bathroom suite? Surely they can't all be busy all of the time, or is it that they only like to do certain jobs. Some enlightenment would be greatful.

2. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A plumber would probably plumb in a bathroom suite that is already fitted but probably won’t be interested in the actual fitting side of things. Try a general handyman/builder type.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. pete50

pete50

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    IMO it goes across the board for so called "tradesmen." They only want big paying jobs that they can finish in a couple of months, charge huge sums for and then begger off to sunny climes. I have just asked a local builder to re-felt my garage roof. He wouldn't do that but he would tile it for £3500. Okay if I could get that sort of work I suppose I would do it as well. Bottom line is that I tend to do as many jobs myself.

4. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Most builder / handyman fitted bathrooms I've seen have been awful. A plumber who advertises bathroom fitting is what's needed

• Like Like x 1
  5. GTL

GTL

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. eta

eta

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    i had a lot of trouble getting any trades to come and do various jobs here, they are often on new builds or the very expensive part of town, doing bigger jobs.
    Took almost 18 mths to get someone to do our bathroom & on-suite , had quite a few guys turn up to quote , and then never heard from them.
    In the end we had some builders who had just started up on their own, father & son , did an excellent job in the end.
    Had the same issue with Roofers and also electricians.

Talking to other people in the area, its not an uncommon issue.

7. Sponsored Links