What is it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased an Atlas metal lathe and an assortment of tools. Among these tools was a mounted dial indicator. I have researched and have not been able to determine it's intended use. I hope someone here on the forums will be able to tell me what this tool was intended to measure. It is marked "Federal Products Dial Indicator Model 57B-3-R2" and measures in increments of .0005 inches. Thanks for any help.

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Probably used for an early form of quality control. The finished item would have been held on the base against the stop, the side lever would then lower the indicator and the size could be checked. Best use for it now would be to zero the dial on the base and you then have a quick way to measure the thickness of stock, though picking up the digital callipers is just as quick.

You may get a more accurate answer on one of the US sites such as

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php

Jason

It's called a comparator, and as rightly stated used in quality control, to measure thickness tollerances accurately.

Wotan

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back