What is it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of redoing my dining room. The insurance company is so nice to replace my laff and plaster ceiling with a new plaster board one after we had a leak in the upstairs bath that made a big hole.

sence that is being done i dicided to take off the cement skirting boards. (Yes, I did say cement skirting boards.) Well, I succeded to get a chunk off, and much to my surprise there was some semi soft, black stuff inside it where I had thought there would be brick.

My house is over 100 yrs old, the wall is what used to be an exterior wall, and load bearing.

What the heck is this black stuff?!?!?!

BTW- Im American born and raised...so I dont know too much about what you make your houses out of over here...but it looks pretty strange to me.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
>What the heck is this black stuff?!?!?!

industrial heritage mate - the original plaster/cement/Etc has probably been bulked out with ash/slag/Etc waste from factories - our house is of a similar age but in the north of england - all our plaster is black (and if you lift a slab in the cellar - there be slag under there, aye!)

may look pretty strange but its stood up for over 100 years, which is more than most do in america!

Sponsored Links
thanks guys for the replys...at least i know what it is now. what we have decided to do about this is dot and dab plasterboard to the walls...which will take up the thickness of the cement skirting boards...then just put normal skirting on after. whats even better...we are having our ceiling fixed by the insurance company...and in lue of putting up new walpaper...they will install the plasterboard...and issue me a check for the value of the wall paper...what a deal...of couse i have to purchase the plasterboard...but i dont mind that...they are doing the hard work for me...weeeeeeeee![/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back