What is leaking!! (on my Vokera system boiler!) - *pic*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have noticed that overnight (when my boiler isnt actually on) - it leaks! - It definately doesnt do this in the day (when boiler on) but today I tested by turning boiler off and waiting about an hour for it to cool down...then I saw drips of water coming from inside...took cover off, found the culprit!

http://www.jondw.co.uk/leak.jpg

It is VERY tempting to whip that clip off and see whats going on, but too near Xmas to risk it!

Eventually, if I leave the drip, the pressure drops to ZERO and I have to refill..

Incidentally, we had a previous problem with pressure (quite the opposite) where the boiler kept blowing water out of the PRV as the expansion vessle had gone - heating company have (a few days ago) fitted an external vessle and the pressure now is OK - other than the leak!

What does this black thing/clip do, will it be a big job for heating people when i call them!

Merry Xmas all and thanks for any advice on this![/img]

Sponsored Links
it's just a blanking plug that vokera left there for some reason. with the right o-ring it takes ten minutes to replace.

Readers be aware that Nickso is a gas registered boiler repairer who says he works for BG. Of course I dont knof if he is as we only have his postings here but I think that he probably does.

Lou Lou is an interested DIYer who avidly reads this forum.

I would take it apart after draining boiler and clean and dry and add silicone grease. On most cases that would cure the problem.

It can also, in difficult cases, help to add about three turns of PTFE tape over the "O" ring.

But regarding sealer, as Meatloaf says "I wont do that". ( He did a fantastic concert at Wembley a couple of weeks ago! )

Tony

Sponsored Links
As Nickso says. Drain the boiler and replace the o-ring. If you don't have the right size of o-ring, do as Agile suggests. Merry Christmas.

It's another wonderful design fault.

Don't forget to check the mould flashing line on the plug...sometimes is just enough to stop the O ring sealing, carefully scrape it flat.

Check the vessel whilst the pressures on zero.

Don't listen to this plonker, a bit of sealer will suffice. leave the o ring in if you want.

advice on boiler repair from a man who has never had a job no matter a job in repairing heating. :rolleyes:

the problem with doing it agiles way is the retaining pin only holds one half of the plug in. the ring is often distorted as a result, trying to use anything other than a new ring might not work and trying it without knowing how bad the current ring is could be a disaster at this time of year.

i wouldn't chance it but then i'm a careful fecker who rarely bodges a repair unless i really have no option. up to you OP.

Those electrical cables bottom right look a bit dodgy to me......

Thanks all, I decided to leave it over Xmas, as the heating/CH is working, but boiler leaks (only overnight?) - so I just top up (literally 1 x second of refill tap turn!) - then its fine

Im with Homserve who are going to come out 30th December to look at it. I offered to send them a photo in helping with any diagnosis but they werent interested

Presume I should also look at putting inhibitor back into the system also as I will have lost some with the frequent refills?

Lastly....I agree (and didnt notice) those electric cables to look a bit dodgy. Ive looked and they arent anywhere near any heat sources/pipes, so I think they probably were at some time in the past and someone has rerouted

Merry Xmas! - Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back