What is my door made of?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m thinking of painting it - what is it made of? It’s definitely yellowed compared to everything else plastic on the front of my house.
98A91284-5723-47AC-B3AC-87B537FD5F3F.jpeg
060D8320-D1D8-4F2D-91A7-50F0A0EA79E8.jpeg
F5BA0466-BAAB-4FE8-BC05-7823FC977697.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Looks like a composite door.... that somebody has tried to sand?

They're timber cores with GRP skins, the colour is part of the skin of the material. Overpaintable? Yes with the right paint. It won't have the robustness of the original surface though.

Nozzle

Looks like a composite door.... that somebody has tried to sand?

They're timber cores with GRP skins, the colour is part of the skin of the material. Overpaintable? Yes with the right paint. It won't have the robustness of the original surface though.

Nozzle
Thanks. Definitely not been sanded but is approx 20 years old and gets full sun so just weathered. Probably needs replacing but was thinking of giving it a coat of paint first. Any ideas what paint/undercoat to use? Can you get doors like this replaced or must the whole frame be replaced as well? The frame has fared better than the door.

Sponsored Links
Check out the spec of Bedec MSP see if that can be used on GRP. Might be worth considering a foam roller rather than a brush.

Nozzle

Check out the spec of Bedec MSP see if that can be used on GRP. Might be worth considering a foam roller rather than a brush.

Nozzle
Thanks. Will do - I was thinking of removing, masking up and spraying.

Some Bedec paints are also sprayable, if you have a compressor. Rattle cans with solvent based paint might work - or the solvent could harm the resin in the GRP (test a small area and leave it for a week)

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back