What is my floor construction?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can anyone help me identify what my ground floor is constructed from?

THe house is 1990 and a small link detatched two story house.

Under the carpet and underlay is a flat, smooth black rubbery type surface with no visible pattern.

If I jump on the floor if has a very slight spring to it but nothing like upstairs and also makes a very small deep reverbaration sound that maes me think it is not colpletely solid.

There are air bricks on the outside walls.

Any clues on what it's construction might be as I want to put a wet underfloor heating system in place without raising my floor too much so would need to remove what is there, but I realise that if it was solid concrete all the way through, it would be a nightmare.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Seems like its a beam and block floor, and if it is underfloor heating will be very difficult, and probably not feasible

How do I check whether it is beam and block or just a wooden suspended floor?

Do I just drill a hole and have a peek?

If its timber, it will have ..... err, timber floorboards!

And if its timber, it will sound like the timber 1st floor

Sponsored Links
if its beam and block it will have screed and insulation on top of the B & B. you should be able to tell by drilling into it a few mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back