What is the BEST drill bit for drilling into brick

Sponsored Links
I watched my dad struggle to drill a hole in the outside wall of their yorkshire stone house for about 20 mins. He kept muttering about how hard the stone was etc (he'd never blame it on his blunt drill bits or useless drill)

After 20 mins, I casually suggested he might want to take the drill out of reverse.

Sponsored Links
she repeatedly said "30 seconds" but it runs for four and a half minutes.

She appears to be foreign but has a reasonable grasp of English.

She uses screws and drills in an archaic size. Perhaps she's in Liberia.
She appears to be in Canada.
Regardless of how long the clip runs for, she didn't have any trouble drilling into the brick.
What was the point you were making?

One wonders why ‘Andy’ bothered reading all 3 pages (now 4) in the first place.

Actually, the original query was ‘what is the best drill bit’ NOT how to drill a hole.

The other drill I said I had is a Challenge Xtreme 1500 Hammer Drill.

Thanks again to those who took the time to offer advice.

Well the original query specifically concerned the Bosch Construct drill bits. I have a set of these for the odd occasion when I need to drill holes in masonry but I will only be using a combi drill (rare, but does happen). TBH I only ever use these on softer materials like brick and blockwork on which they do fine, providing hammer action is turned on the drill is rotating in the right direction.(clockwise), that it isn't running too fast and that I withdraw the bit from the hole from time to time to clear the waste. If it is burning out after 4 holes then the hammer action may not be engaged, the drill bit is running in reverse or those bricks have some sort of hsrd or metallic inclusion in them. But thrn agsin, maybe not

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back