What is the best form of secondary glazing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have single pane windows ..... looking through various options of secondary glazing and asking what's the best option in your experience and anyone have any recommendations for where to buy from? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
secondary d/g will not cure condensation ventilation will along with no drying washing indoors keeping the shower /bathroom shut untill the air has cleared

secondary d/g will not cure condensation ventilation will along with no drying washing indoors keeping the shower /bathroom shut untill the air has cleared

Thanks. I understand that it might help it not be quite so bad with secondary glazing. We want to get heating bills down as well. Got original sash windows in 1930s house. The locks are the screw ones and they open by the lower pane sliding upwards. They are not the type where you can slide one up and the other down.

the problem you have is condensation will always happen if you do not remove the moisture laden air
if you remove the coldest surface it will just condense on the next coldest surface this can be behind the wardrobe or any furniture cause mould and damp in often unseen places
if the condensation is up stairs then air those rooms during the day and keep doors shut
also thick curtains will help the problem along with draught excluders on all "leaking "doors and windows

Sponsored Links
the problem you have is condensation will always happen if you do not remove the moisture laden air
if you remove the coldest surface it will just condense on the next coldest surface this can be behind the wardrobe or any furniture cause mould and damp in often unseen places
if the condensation is up stairs then air those rooms during the day and keep doors shut
also thick curtains will help the problem along with draught excluders on all "leaking "doors and windows

Thanks. Is it worth caulking all the windows? I would use window sealant. But if we are going to buy secondary glazing I am wondering if it's better to do each panel of the windows or have one big pane that slides open. The windows are pretty sizeable and we have a lot of them.

I see you've edited your original post.

are you trying to address cold, or are you trying to address draughts, or are you trying to address condensation?

Does anybody drape wet washing around your home?

I see you've edited your original post.

are you trying to address cold, or are you trying to address draughts, or are you trying to address condensation?

Does anybody drape wet washing around your home?

Yes, I am just asking about addressing the cold now. We have taken heed of all the elements re condensation and just want to know which secondary glazing option is best for warmth and draughts. I have uploaded some pictures on an album entitled Sash Windows.

"Builder said not to put extractor fan in as it would look horrible so we only have an integrated cooker hood as there's no access to the outside for a different type of cooker hood"

Builder is a buffoon.

You need extraction in kitchens and bathrooms. If necessary, trunking can be run on top of wall units, or inside, between cooker hood and external wall.

Many years ago I rented a flat in Glasgow on a short term lease during the winter. My landlord's cheap solution for secondary glazing was clingfilm :eek:

I've 3 secondary glazing windows from duration windows. they're good at stopping drafts and keeping in warmth, especially the most recent design. I've vertical sliders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back