what is the difference between a fire door frame and a normal door frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to fit a fire door at the back of my garage that leads into the house, I guess I must also fit a fire door frame too, I was just going to make a door lining but presumably the regs inspector will want something a bit more sexy??

Sponsored Links
I have to fit a fire door at the back of my garage that leads into the house, I guess I must also fit a fire door frame too, I was just going to make a door lining but presumably the regs inspector will want something a bit more sexy??
Normally a fire set comprises a rated fire door, fire-rated hinges (stainless steel, ball bearing mainly), a fire check frame or casing (with an intumescent or smoke/intumescent strip let in round 3 edges of the door) and a fire rated door closer (e.g. a Briton-type door closer or some types of Perko closer). The casing/lining must be fixed on packers with steel screws and the gaps between the wall and casing/liner must be sealed with either mineral wool or an intumescent AFFF) fire foam (generally pink). Current standards seem to be moving towards the exposed edges of this foam/mineral wool needing to be trimmed back flush and further sealed on all exposed edges with intumescent fire creme before the architraves are installed. The gap beneath the bottom of the door may not exceed 10mm and the gap all round on other edges should be around 3 to 4mm

Jeez JaK, that's a lot more more complicated than I thought, many thanks for the info, I'd never have done the job like that.........but I will be now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back