What is the eaves height of a PD single storey extension with partially flat roof?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mate looking for advice. I put the X where I think it would be.

eaves height.png

I suspect they have built it like that to comply with maximum eaves height and to get a slope for drainage, so probably all in order. But mate ain't too pleased that his view of sky has suddenly become a view of a brick wall.

Sponsored Links
ah, roof height. So, flat roofs against a neighbour house can be way higher than the eaves of a sloping roof?
A bit naff!

Sponsored Links
Would this rule not apply to extensions:

"If you want to place your garden office within 2 meters of any boundary i.e. your fence wall of hedge, it can be no taller than 2.5 meters high, in most cases this dictates a flat roof garden office."
https://www.gardenofficeguide.co.uk/a-visual-guide-to-garden-office-permitted-development/

Or are brick attached buildings totally different?

There is an image on the permitted development guide, it shows a leanto roof extension on back of a house, the eves are 3m and roof 4m, ie where it abuts the host building

Yeah, outbuilding are different.

Sheds are outbuildings anywhere in the garden.

PD house extensions are different and max 4m in height and eaves should be no higher that the existing house.

Eaves are measured as shown on page 12 of the technical guidance:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...der_Technical_Guidance__-April_2017_FINAL.pdf

What they have built makes no real sense, i suspect they have built it like that to "match" tiles on their house at the rear whilst keeping within 4m and being cheap. So it looks good for them but not their neighbour.

I think in this situation the eaves to both the flat bit and the eaves to the mini pitch roof bit must both comply with being no higher than the eaves height of the existing house.

Eaves for pitched roofs are measured at the lowest part. Eaves for flat roofs are generally all sides.

If it is a bungalow this has been done to, and the eaves to the sloped bit at the back matches the eaves to the existing bungalow, then I think the eaves to the flat roof at the higher end will be too high and may contravene PD. If a house then likely to comply as the eaves to the first floor will obviously be much higher.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back