What is the Law?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the law regarding fitting a replacement gas fire front to a Baxi Bermuda back boiler?

Do I have to get the final connection and commisioning done by a Corgi registered plumber?

Sponsored Links
You can't touch it unless you can prove you're "competent". You only have that permit if it's your own place. If you've not been trained, you aren't competent.

It's a simple job for a corgi, don't bother messing with it (including removal of the old one) yourself.

It is my own property.

The only connection that needs doing is from the boiler valve to the gas fire which the pipe for already exists. one end is a compression fitting the other end is a tapered seat with nut.

I would not have to make any pipe work up and I'm being quoted £80 plus for putting the pipe back on!

If I get a corgi guy to connect and commision the fire will he give me a certificate to say he has done it?

Hardly any of his £80 is for doing the nut up! First he'd have to undo it if you'd done it up so he could inspect and test the chimney, which is just part of the dozen or more things he has to do or check. It isn't a 2 minute job. His bill for the work is your "certificate".

Sponsored Links
But the chimney is the same as it was when it was tested 4 years ago as is everything else on the boiler!

And out of 12 Corgi guys only 2 could be asked to even quote!

How do you know a bird hasn't left a nest in there or other debris is causing an obstruction. Is the chimney lined with a metal liner, if so how do you know is it has been damaged by rust? etc etc.

Personally I would value my life and that of my family well above £80.00. If you are the reverse go ahead!!

Gas isn't very forgiving if you make a mistake.

This subject keeps coming up. I think we need a separate thread about whether diy gaswork in your own house is legal or not. I may start one next week.

Good idea i searched all the threads about this and never came up with a conclusive answer.

ArtfulBodger - I just told them 'I have a Baxi Bermuda Boiler and I have fitted a replacement firefront could you give me a quote for conecting the pipe and commisionung the fire'. Thats all no aggresive questioning of their methods or quotes or asking for a good quote. I think the common donominator is CORGI plumbers!

So you tell them that you've been meddling in things you shouldn't by fitting the firefront and you want them to cover YOUR backside with a bit of paper. I'm not surprised they aren't interested!

Whatever you've done, you wouldn't have done it the same way if you'd been taught what to do.

As soon as a corgi works on an appliance he's responsible for it.

If he doesn't like what i've done he does not have to touch it! And most charge a call out fee which I would pay.

Yeah Yeah Yeah whatever, as usual the original answer has not been answered.

Of course it has been covered.

NO you CANNOT do what you suggested. YOU cannot legally work on the thing AT ALL because you are not competent. Surely that's clear by now? Even to you?

steveharr said:
Yeah Yeah Yeah whatever, as usual the original answer has not been answered.

You mean question.
In a nutshell, get your hand in your pocket and pay a trained person with all the qualifications needed to work on gas appliances.
I consider myself competent as a plumber but will not touch gas until I know all the ins and outs of what I am dealing with, and that I have the proper training, certificates etc.
£80 is not a bad price for peace of mind. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back