What Is The Object And What Caused The Hole?

Sponsored Links
It's aluminium, someone drilled a hole in it and tried soldering something in place with a torch.

Ally tends to blow, so not convinced that the hole is man made tooling heat.

At least the picture's filename confirms what the object is. ;)

Sponsored Links
Very clever, Ban...

I was hoping that you wouldn't cheat and look up the file name...that spoils the game!

OK, so it is indeed a section of aluminium alloy lamp post.

A street light cover thats been shot at? :D

My first guess too!

ColJack and JACKC, you're on the right lines...

Aha, part of lampost with earth fault, dog wees on it and completes the dodgy earth path and hey pi55to, big hole for dog and small exit hole in lampost.

This lamp post was shown to me by one of our customers. He gave me full permission to take and use the photograph and to tell the story.

A site foreman was supervising the off-loading of a light but bulky load from a hiab.

The load starting to rotate, so the foreman used one hand to steady it, gripping the lamp post with the other.

At this point, the crane hit an overhead 11 kV power line. The electricity ran through the load, down one arm and across the foreman's chest, exiting through the forefinger of the other hand. That is what made the hole. The other (minor) route to earth was down his right leg.

As the guy relating the story told me,

"Somebody I showed it to told me it looked like a mark made by some welding gear. I told him it was, albeit using a finger instead of the usual kit..."

Oh, the bit you're all holding your breath for. The foreman lived to tell the tale, minus part of his right hand and a couple of toes.

Yeah, I was going to say that as my next guess....

I hope he got it on video. Not worth doing otherwise...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back