what could be causing this!

Sponsored Links
Is this something new, or something you have noticed is happening more frequently?

Have just noticed it these last few months.

I got new spotlights wired into my kitchen, heat detectors etc,.. and i was thinking maybe it was something he electrician did.

Sponsored Links

I got new spotlights wired into my kitchen, heat detectors etc,.. and i was thinking maybe it was something he electrician did.

Very unlikely if it is indeed the entire electrical supply that is being lost at once (lights, sockets, cooker boiler etc. all at the same time).

As said by several members you need to report this to the DNO, and pronto too!

Very unlikely if it is indeed the entire electrical supply that is being lost at once (lights, sockets, cooker boiler etc. all at the same time).

As said by several members you need to report this to the DNO, and pronto too!

I will do it this week. What could it be though

I will do it this week. What could it be though
Unfortunately, if it's anything like the situation experienced by myself and some others here, it would just be due to features of the distribution network which the DNO cannot realistically, and/or will not, be able to do anything about.

Kind Regards, John

Unfortunately, if it's anything like the situation experienced by myself and some others here, it would just be due to features of the distribution network which the DNO cannot realistically, and/or will not, be able to do anything about.

Kind Regards, John

Get your letter in anyway (not a phone call or email) and get your neighbours to do the same. It will get logged and may eventually reach the top of somebody's in-tray. If you don't, it won't.

They have budgets for network reinforcement and money spent is added to the asset cost from which their permissible profits are calculated.

Get your letter in anyway (not a phone call or email) and get your neighbours to do the same.
Unless I've missed it, I don't think we've yet had any confirmation that the OP's neighbours are experiencing the same. They very probably are but, as I said way back, I think the OP probably ought to confirm that before involving the DNO.

Kind Regards, John

I think the OP probably ought to confirm that before involving the DNO.

No... the DNO should be informed now. If there is a fault it could be one that only affects the supply to the OP's house. A fault ( such as overheating due to a resistive or loose connection ) where the service cable to the house is connected to the street cable would affect only that house but could eventually damage the street cable.

No... the DNO should be informed now. If there is a fault it could be one that only affects the supply to the OP's house. A fault ( such as overheating due to a resistive or loose connection ) where the service cable to the house is connected to the street cable would affect only that house but could eventually damage the street cable.
I'm not sure that I agree ...

IF only the OP, and none of his neighbours (being sure to check with several, which might be on different phases), is experiencing periodic power glitches, it's not impossible that there is a potentially dangerous fault within his own installation (such as a loose connection or other problem, in CU).

For that reason, I would personally advise first checking with neighbours, and if they are not also experiencing the same, get an electrician to check the OP's installation as a matter of urgency, before jumping to the conclusion that the problem is in the network or cutout. However, that's just my opinion!

Kind Regards, John

The first 4 years out in the sticks i used a laptop, but then after 6 years of putting up with 1 to 60 second blips on a PC, even with lots of cables being put underground by the power co, it did improve things a lot, but i finally caved in this year and got a UPS for the PC, now every time there's a blip i can smile and say to my self its worth every penny. And so far its been almost twice weekly this winter!

*UPS = Uninterruptible Power Supply, a battery in a box.

Last edited:
Countryside here as well and we also experience these blips, especially during winter months, and neighbours down the road (1/4 mile away) also get them.

Given this is something which started recently, I would echo the advice to contact your DNO. It would be strange for those changes to cause what you have described.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back