Xpelair timer fan delay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

Just want to make sure it's not me missing something before I take this fan back.

I've wired the ceiling fan in my bathroom to a pull cord as I didn't want it to come on whenever the kids put the light on in the toilet through the night, and when I switch the fan on, there is a slight (2 secs approx) delay before the fan runs up. I've connected a light on the fan side of the electrics and tested both perminant and switch lives and the light comes on instantly so I'm pretty sure it's nothing in the wiring. Are these fans supposed to delay coming on?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The delay is typical of those fans sold as 'low-watt' which have feeble motors that can barely turn the fan blades in free air, never mind actually move any air through a short length of duct.

I suspect that this is the type of fan which is common for cooling pc's. They seem to have a control circuit which, to get the fan moving, puts full power to the fan, then reduces the power to the normal running level. We have one where I work. There may be other explanations though.

Maybe the timer just takes a couple of seconds to arm itself.

Which model is it. Some have delay start option but have an over ride strap or switch. It will be detailed in the instructions.

Not really if that is normal. But it could be something beginning to break down and may get worse.

Not really if that is normal. But it could be something beginning to break down and may get worse.
You provided the Screwfix link. Read the reviews. At least two people have mentioned the power on delay. Also there is a helpline number.
You can do this on your own, it's not difficult.

You think 2s is a problem, I've just installed a couple of Xpellair low wattage fans, and they take about 10s to kick in. And having a facia plate on the front, the moist air from the bathroom condenses on it, and drips onto the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back