what is the PD limit for extension and loft conversion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I build a kitchen extension under UK permitted development rights even if we have a loft converted too?
I wish to build a single story extension to our detached house in Kent. The extension will measure 4m deep and 12m wide. We previously also converted the loft with a dormer window on one side of the roof. I understand under PD we can build up to 4m from the back of the house as long as it does not exceed 50% of the overall land, which it will not. The extension will also be over 1m from the boundary fence.

Can anyone tell me :
a) if I would be allowed to have this extension built within my permitted development rights or would I have to have planning permission because we have also previously built a loft conversion?
b) is there a limit to how much we can add space to our house within permitted development rights?

thanks

Sponsored Links

thanks - but i cannot see anything about whether i can add an extension even if i have already converted my loft. I understand I can extend up to 4m deep as I have a detached house and that the extension can be "No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings."

So if I have converted my loft can I still extend a single story up to 4m depth at the back of my house without planning permission? i have emailed the planning office who confirmed I can extend within my PD but they did not confirm if having a loft converted would affect my PD. Any advise greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
So if I have converted my loft can I still extend a single story up to 4m depth at the back of my house without planning permission?
Yes you can. Providing your PD rights have not been removed and your house is not listed. Your loft conversion makes no difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back