What is this board and can we get it in the UK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering building my own garden shed along the lines of the youtube video link posted. Can anyone advise what the chipboard/osb cladding boards at 50:42 are called, and are they available in the UK?

TIA

Sponsored Links
In the UK that will have soaked up water and rotted very quickly.

I wouldnt use sterling board...........

You can get these .......fibre cement .......

https://www.cedral.world/en-gb/cladding/

Or you could get log lap here ..........

http://www.yorkshiretimber.co.uk/

Look up the interlapping log lap !

Property installed and maintained the timber should last in definately.

OH and something else corrogated steel panels ........I saw a programme where a small museam had been built using corrogated sheet steel. The design was such it was painted a matt green and coupled with the design it did look rather nice. Suprisingly enough !

Last edited:
You cant buy those in the UK.

The only option is cedral, hardie plank or upvc boarding.

If you want a decent shed, build it with studwork, use osb board as sheathing. Then breathable membrane, 50 x 25 battens for air gap, then cladding.

That makes a waterproof system and the outside cladding can breath and dry.

Sponsored Links
Don't do what the previous owner did to one of the sheds in my garden.
Used 2 off 8' x 4' x 1/2" OSB board cut down to 3'-6" in the length and used it as two panels for the roof and covered with 1 layer of black roofing felt.
But best of all, the roof rests on the two end walls and one side wall with no internal rafters for support. Over the years, (before we moved in), he had allowed a very large conifer tree to spread it's branches which rested on the roof.
Result? A shed with a severely bowed roof and split felting that now leaks at the merest hint of rain.

However you make your shed make sure you do it properly. Don't cut corners to try and ave a bit of money because in the long run it will cost you more. Not only in repairs/replacement but repairs/replacement of anything which may get weather damaged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back