What is this cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed a blanking plate to find the pictured cable.

Can anyone tell what the cable/ what it is used for?

If it helps,

1. The unknown cable was placed next to a TV Aerial Socket

2. The cable is very thin. Thinner than a 0.5mm cable

Attachments

• wire.png
    wire.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 148
  • wirew.png
    wirew.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
Judging from what you’ve said and it’s appearance, I’d say coaxial cable.

Judging from what you’ve said and it’s appearance, I’d say coaxial cable.
Not from what I see.
Looks to be 7 strands of some weird twisted copper look construction...

I wondered if it was a telephone external drop wire type of cable, but cannot see any pvc coloured pairs inside those protective strands...

Is there any writing on the outer sheath at all? A scale rule for diameter wouldn't harm - at a guess around 3 mm?

Sponsored Links
Could simply be a draw-wire - a cable left it the conduit, to enable another cable to be pulled in, if it is needed in the future.

I wondered if it was a telephone
Oh I had forgot about them, the old party line telephone had an earth wire, not sure how it worked, but parents house the earth ran from phone to an earth stake.
Could simply be a draw-wire - a cable left it the conduit, to enable another cable to be pulled in, if it is needed in the future.
That seems most likely.

From the pic it looks solid and stranded in one cable.
All I think I see is a single stranded 6491X.
I suspect it was put in as a draw wire to provide future services such as satelite, phoneline, Ethernet etc. from the loft area.

Where do you see a solid?

Any chance of a better picture? In the first pic, the one where it's not stripped, it looks as if it could be a figure 8 or shotgun style cable but that might just be shadows. A close up of the end against a ruler or tape measure would be good.

From the pic it looks solid and stranded in one cable.
Any chance of a better picture? In the first pic, the one where it's not stripped, it looks as if it could be a figure 8 or shotgun style cable but that might just be shadows. A close up of the end against a ruler or tape measure would be good.
OK I see the issue with the shadow causing confusion... I assume it is just a shadow:unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back